Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sheltie.Mama, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Junebug:

I think that your final question here is an outstanding one. Because of the particular search I am involved in, this topic is of utmost importance to me. Ultimately, I remain (now) exactly where I found myself (a few days ago) before the last few eye opening days of coverage about DM's and their progeny. I have, however uncovered a number of questions I need to be answered moving forward.

At this point, my answer to your question, "Where is the edge of the slippery slope?" is: Where ever an individual decides that it is. Clearly (in spite of all of the posturing and positioning in these pages) there are no clear cut regulations prohibiting (or forcing) breeding of DM's. As such, I must make a moral decision for myself. If I am strongly enough motivated, I should even attempt an activist type campaign to bring my beliefs forward, but it starts with my decision.

For the record, I don't believe that purposely breeding DM's is a good idea and I will not patronize ones that do so. While I hear what those who believe otherwise are saying, I don't agree. I appreciate those who offer their opinions (on either side of the discussion) without casting aspersions on those that disagree. The discussion has helped me immensely. What I have found disappointing is that some people still feel that those who disagree with their opinions should be demonized (my words, not actually said in print). BTW, let me say again - GREAT QUESTION!

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

OMG! What a thread! I'm not a breeder and I'm certainly no genetiscist But like takeroll, I just cannot support a breeder that takes a chance. I do understand that taking chances might actually perfect the breed eventually. But in the short term, you may be bringing pups into the world that have a limited chance of survirval.

Call me a purest......but I'm happy with the Sheltie breed today. I don't think introducing new into the breed is required. For sure, expand the gene pool.....but experimenting with colours...at the risk of unhealthly dogs. No.

So I ask, what would be accomplished by introducing double merle into the breed now? I read through all the thread, and never found an argument to truly support this.

Maybe I missed something, but I really could find no compelling reason for this.

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    What I got is that some breeders are currently purposefully breeding double merles ( we are way past introducing them), and that some champion shelties have double merles in their pedigrees. It's sort of the breed's dirty little secret. I have admit that much as I love the merles, I also don't agree that we should knowingly breed merle to merle and risk deaf/blind or othewise impaired puppies.

http://www.border-wars.com/2012/02/westminsters-double-merle-sheltie-bob.html

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I truly hope that this is not so of our reputable breeders.....

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Sorry to let you down, Jeff. You know I am waiting to see what happens if we FULLY agree on something! Close, really close, though. Maybe next time. :eek2:

6. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I don't know about sheltie merles but in Aussies you have no problem with brown-eyed merles and usually only problems if white fur is surrounding a blue eye or an ear.

My merle aussie with brown eyes even had a white spot in one eye and both eyes were tested and found sighted just fine. Hearing was spot on too.

The biggest way to land white on the eye/ear is double merle though breeding for a lot of white on the face/head/neck in general is discouraged by standards.

I just chose to avoid blue eyes because they kinda creep me out and I live in a desert and did a lot of things outdoors with the dogs back then and figured blue eyes would be kind of miserable to the dog for my needs.

7. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I don't think you can let me down. In any event, I suspect that we are closer than you may think. Besides, I told you, when I grow up, I want to be as smart as you are, so there is yet hope. :lol:

I will share this with you though. The more research I do on this DM issue, I am beginning to develop an opinion that would be really, really unpopular on these pages (relative to who truly is culpable). As a result, I am not likely to weigh in many more times on the topic. I'll look forward to running into you on other topics.

8. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Cracking me up, Jeff, cracking me up. :hugs

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Destin was Baer tested and Cerf'd as a puppy- results were normal....
    Cranberry was Cerf'd and is fine visually - not Baer'd but he can hear a cookie wrapper from a mile away so I'd guess his hearing is just fine....

10. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Exactly!!! Any purebred dog have problems, some more than others.

Again, I personally would NEVER breed 2 merles together, but then I also would not breed any flat-faced breed or long-backed breed.

As for what is the purpose of breeding 2 merles together, what I was told it is because the DM sheltie produces blue pups that are supposed to be more of a silvery blue.

while yes color should be one of the lowest priorities to have when breeding, obviously health and temperament should come first. You see this with the other colors, only difference is it doesn't cause any health problems for the sable breeder that will only breed to sables, because they don't want that tri-factored pup, or the tri breeder that wont breed to bi's because they feel it lightens the tan points, or sable to merle because it washes out the color. If color truly didn't matter then CHW would be showable, as some of the other colors that you rarely see, like the maltese blue.