Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by GlennR, Jun 10, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    There is a dog in my neighborhood which seems pretty uncontrollable, breaking out in barks and growls whenever it sees another dog, no matter how distant. It appears to be a pitbull cross, not that it matters, but it's a very large dog.

The woman who owns it will start to yell at you to go some other way if you are on the path she means to take. The dog is big enough to drag her if she's not fully braced. I feel like I should report the dog to animal control but there's been no incident yet, although I'm sure there will be for some unfortunate dog in the future.

What would you do?

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Yikes - hard situation! I guess you could call animal control to ask their advice on the matter - not reporting her, right? But getting the message across about the dog.

I absolutely do NOT understand the fascination with this breed. We have the one who bit me (staffie, but still a pit bull breed), another staffie that lives behind a fence and literally sounds like it wants to eat you. They put up a fence of forsythia on the outside of the fence so the dog cannot see you, but it smells you as you walk by. And then we have a third, same as yours, big, strong dog with a male owner who has had a slew of health issues and literally would not stand a chance if the dog chose to run. We live in a very small neighborhood of 22 homes. I turn around immediately if I see one of them out while on my walks.

KarenCurtis, GlennR, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I agree with Sandy, Glenn...a tough call. But I can't tell you how many instances I've heard about of pitbulls or crosses attacking Shelties. For some reason, this seems to be a common occurence. As I've said before on other threads, it's too late when this dog breaks away from his owner and comes after you if it's a path you take. As Sandy suggested, I would call animal control and alert them to your concerns by asking for suggestions. Many of these departments will investigate without using your name. That's a question you could ask. It would be a shame for you to give up walking in a place you enjoy, or worrying every time you take it about Willows (and your!) safety.

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Start carrying a baseball bat or hiking pole with a carbide tip.
    You can never be assured you will be able to completely avoid her...

Not sure of laws in canada, but letting the local agency know of your concerns is never a bad thing...
    animal control will probably just write your info down, I doubt they would do anything. but having it recorded somewhere might be helpful if something does happen.

Sandy in CT, GlennR and Calliesmom like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I agree with consulting animal control about your options. and with carrying a "walking stick" of some kind.........

GlennR and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Sad to say, but you may need to alter your route for a while. If that dog gets loose, and is coming at you full charge, even with a bat, you may still find yourself in deep trouble.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    One more suggestion brought to mind by others here. When I walk in the woods or secluded areas, I carry pepper spray. I walk with it in my hand so I don't have to fumble for it if it's needed. You can't take down a good-size dog with a bat, but you sure can with pepper spray to the face. It comes in convenient little spray canisters that you can get online. You may never need it, but it's good insurance.

8. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I would do this if I could but pepper spray isn't legal in Canada so that's a no go for me.

9. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    i'm afraid that you're right and a route change, or a timing change for the route is the first thing I'll try. I'm not sure I could actually bring myself to hit a dog with a bat.

JacqueZ and ghggp like this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    The rules lie with the municipalities but it's certainly worth a chat with animal control.

Ann and ghggp like this.