Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by GlennR, Jun 10, 2019.

1. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Don't underestimate yourself. You would be surprised what you are capable of if the one you love is in danger.

GlennR, tofu pup, Sandy in CT and 4 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Honestly the fact that someone with a large apparently aggressive dog is yelling at folks to get out of her way would definitely make me change my route or time, although it means she "wins". By that, I mean she doesn't have to alter a darn thing, just expect everyone else to accomodate her. :mad1:

I don't think animal control does much unless there is an actual incident or the dog is off leash.

I once gave a good sized dog a good kick when it was attacking my friend's dog with definite intent to harm, did it without thinking and thank god it did the trick. Her dog was a Lab and too big to pick up out of harm's way.

Tabitha and GlennR like this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Forums Regular

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA

Although pepper spray isn’t legal you can pick up a can of bear repellent at Canadian Tire! Sad to hear about the problem it shouldn’t happen some people just shouldn’t have animals.

GlennR, KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Trust me if he was headed at Willow you would on reflex.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Glenn, I'm with Ann. Pepper spray in case that woman ever lets go. My friend John in England and his Sheltie, Charlie, were both nearly killed by two Huskies on a local path. They savaged Charlie and nearly got John's jugular vein. Charlie's recovery took weeks of hospitalization, and John suffered post-trumatic stress. I would definitely share my concerns with the local authorities -- perhaps along with a video.

GlennR and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I'm going to chime in on the other side of this story and mention... You never know what the circumstances for her and her dog are. Mangos not large, but when she hit her first heat and got aggressive from those hormones, she definitely looked scary to whoever she was lunging and snarling and barking at. And it came on so suddenly, she went from a 1 to a 100 in aggression in a matter of days.
    Even dogs who are dealing with issues need exercise, and as hard as I worked to get out at times when we wouldn't meet anyone else, there was no way to assure it.

I can't tell you how much it meant to me when someone would back up so I could turn down a side street and avoid passing them, or even just hold their dog closer when I did have to pass. The understanding smile, could help me get through the most discouraging walk.

You don't know that she's not doing anything to try and resolve the problem, and there's no "winning" for someone trying to manage these issues, it's surviving each encounter.

She has a companion she loves, issues and all, and if shes shouting out to you and letting you know there's a problem, she's trying, and asking you to help her, to make sure nothing happens to your companion because of it.

Sharon7 and GlennR like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I have an airhorn for the javelina and pepper spray for the pitbulls. Two days ago a car stopped to tell me a coyote was stalking us. Don't know which would be appropriate for that guy, but at least I got something. So guess my advice is be prepared as much as you can be. There are sites that show best ways to get dogs apart. My husband always says drop the leash and give the dog a chance to run away. I just found out I'm stupid enough to put myself between my dogs and a coiled buzzing rattlesnake, so you don't really know till you're in it.

GlennR, Ann, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Jacque, your compassion put me to shame. :hide Thank you for reminding me to be kind first.:hugs

Sharon7 and GlennR like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree 100%...was also going to suggest carrying a big stick!
    Perhaps get a can of bear spray (although not sure how effective this would be, you'd more likely get it in your eyes).
    This owner shouldn't be walking this dog without a muzzle if she's do concerned it might injure someone !

GlennR likes this.
  10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I agree that if your neighbor was at all concerned she would have a muzzle on her dog.
    I actually have seen that a few times and always appreciate the owner acknowledging the issue.

I know the circumstances may not be what we think, but her responsibilities are the same regardless.

Sharon7, RikyR and GlennR like this.