Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When to fade out the pee treats?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Caro, May 20, 2020.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Kismet is pretty consistently peeing outside, except first thing in morn and the few times I miss cues. But she's become rather addicted to her pee treats (including throwing in some pretend pees).

She's now 5mths old

For those who remember, when did you start fading out the treats for peeing? It's creating quite a bit of jealousy with Della.

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Kooper turns 12 in 3 weeks and still gets potty treats so I'm a bad one to ask. We just figure it into their daily calorie intake. It ensure excitement to go outside to potty no matter what the weather.

For the longest time, Rusty the orange cat used to get treats too when the dogs went out to potty. He started coming to the door asking for them when we would come in with the dogs so we started giving him 'potty treats' even though he didn't potty. Even our pet sitter was guilty of it but it was so funny!

Sharon7, Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Ok, that's funny, and a little scary! Not really intending to keep it up, but that probably means Della should get some too!

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Funny you should say Della is jealous. I ended up doling out treats to everyone. I had the soft treats and just broke off little tiny pieces. I phased them out once the puppy was pretty solid in training, which was a different age for all of them....between 6 months and a year. I didn't cut them out completely, just reduced the times I gave one until we weren't doing it at all. All of mine get a cookie after the first morning out and last out at night. The anticipation just gets them back inside faster.

Hanne, Caro, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I think Finnie was around 7 months when I stopped but with many regressions I would start and stop many times (I swear boys are more trouble than girls) and I also had to give to Piper...I call him Mr Piggy for a reason lol. Finnie is just getting to the point (finally) where he will pee when I tell him to, when he was younger he just wanted the treat lol.

Caro, Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Never used them here. Guys are spoiled but things like that are got to do's

Caro, Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I never used potty treats either......

Caro and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Interestingly, sometimes giving a treat and sometimes not will do even more to sock in the behavior. I would start not being "unpredictable".

Caro and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I started potty training with random treats, but phased it out quickly because she would just do a nice sit and wait for the treat instead of attending to business. She just turned 4 months and is pretty good at going on command now. Pooping on the other hand is random times during the day - except for always first thing in the morning. I hope that will change when she eventually has only 2 meals a day.

Our first two Shelties were potty trained without treats, just praise and pats.

Hanne, Calliesmom and Caro like this.
  10. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I don't see any harm in using the treats as long as you want to. Random treats also sounds like a good idea.

Kip was housetrained in about 2 weeks, and I stopped giving him potty time treats shortly after that. But I still give him treats at agility class when he pees outside the field where I want him to go. I really want to reinforce that!

Hanne and Sandy in CT like this.