Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When to transition

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by KarenW, Feb 10, 2014.

1. KarenW

KarenW Forums Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Il
    Ok so since Prancer has been home about a month now,boy time flys, I have crate trained him. At first I only had him out when I could see every move he would make for accidents. If I was in kitchen he was restricted to kitchen by gates ect. I have started relaxing a little like Sunday we took our nap out of crate.. We both slept a couple hours no accidents...no destroyed stuff...At night he still goes in crate . When I'm at work he's in crate, let him out at lunch feed him tke him out again about 45 mins then back in crate till I get home. I feel bad for him. I want to switch to gates up in kitchen n let him out to be locked in there while I'm gone
    Question Is he is doing excellent house training don't want to ruin that. Is it too soon to let him have this much freedom?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I didn't transition my GSD x McNab til 5 months and by 6 months all the gates were put away (but I work from home so that is a bit different there). He potty trained brilliantly and had only 2 accidents relatively early on in the 3-4 month old range and only in the kitchen right by the back door. It would be better to stick with the crating longer than undo the mental potty-training concept, I think.

3. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    It's a bit different for me. I am by myself, and work 10 hour days, so I crate the pup during the day, then let him out every 2 hours, and after every feeding. It was a tough first month, but last month the light switch went off in his little dog brain, and now if I do my job, he will do his;).