Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Where's her undercoat?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by k9kreationz, Jul 3, 2017.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I was wondering if those who maybe have moved can help me out.

I brushed Vogue the other day prior to her bath, then gave her a bath, the brushed her out. She had very little undercoat. I mean, Koji had about triple the amount.

My concern is....what is going on? Where's her undercoat?

BUT, I got her in 2015 and she's originally from Minnesota (I'm in Oregon). I keep wondering if she and her coat think she's forever in summer. It's not like we get Minnesota weather during winter, so for her, it's probably warmer year-round (which, I know when I lived in SoCal, sometimes an undercoat wouldn't be as thick due to the warm weather year-round).

She was also spayed at the time and she lost some of her coat, but it's nice and full again. But not as much undercoat as that first year I had her.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned? Think it's the weather and spaying?

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so she did have lots of undercoat when you got her? some dogs just don't have as much as others....
    if she did have it and now doesn't..... you could always ask the breeder if the girls lose their undercoat when they're spayed.
    my boy Jocu has undercoat but not lots of long overcoat- the other three have so much longer hair than he has. I actually got his thyroid tested because I was concerned- he's from a show dog breeder so I was a little surprised at his coat. he tested fine and I just have to keep brushing out the undercoat- he's a southern dog so I'm not too sure how much the temps really play into it.
    when I take group pix- you can almost always see Jocu's harness- the other dogs have long enough hair that their harnesses are pretty well hidden....

3. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    It was kinda falling out as she had just been spayed (I was told that was normal). The first year, her coat came back and she had a lot of undercoat (more than Koji). Poor Jocu. I think I can always see Koji's too; that's why I was concerned this year. I'm going to post a follow-up next, read on.

4. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I don't know why I didn't just ask the breeder, it's not like I don't chat her anyways. LOL. But I was curious if anyone else experienced this, especially with weather temp changes as big as this one was (Minnesota to Oregon). We tease that it's probably an eternal summer to her....even when we dropped to 15 degrees and had snow. LOL.

With Calliesmom's question, I asked the breeder, and she said this was normal. So I'm no longer concerned. Granted, you know how it is though, worried mom. :)

5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    We live in South Florida, where it is crazy hot all year. Spirit has a pretty good amount of undercoat, but Skylar's undercoat puts adult shelties to shame!!!!!!! She just has a tremendous coat and is only 8 months old. Skylar has not been spayed yet, I'm wondering if that will change when she is.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well, I am glad that you have an answer and know that she's ok:yes:
    I was pretty sure that you were still in contact with the breeder:winkgrin:

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'm glad you spoke to the breeder. That's the best source for finding out what's common in a pedigree. But it's also good to know that girls do have less undercoat after they've been spayed. Some, almost none. Several of my girls pretty much completely lost their undercoat after spaying, and the outer coat became more drapey. Others keep the undercoat, but to a lesser extent.

8. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    So......I should delete this post. I think Vogue's undercoat just blows differently than Koji's. Because my gawd, this girl is falling apart. I brushed her, not even thoroughly and I'm sure I had a new puppy. Guess she has her undercoat. LOL.

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    now she sounds like Jocu- keep that brush handy:winkgrin:

10. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    LOL. Oh, it's always handy because she tangles easily too (tummy/mudflaps).