Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why do I want another Sheltie when they bark so much??

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Oct 22, 2018.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I said I would never get another sheltie when Sandstorm was a teenager, now he's 9 and doesn't bark nearly as much. Have I forgotten what it's like? Or do I have what a lot of you do, an addiction that has to be satisfied! Lol! My husband and I have decided to get a puppy in late spring, early summer. Sandstorm is nine, this might be good for him- we hope! We love him so much, and can't bear the thought of him not being with us. As he gets older we think about this; it's not the only reason we want another one, my husband will be going to part time and then retirement, so we'll have more time. I'm still working but would love another puppy to train and for Sandstorm, it could be good for him. I know a lot of you have more than one, and I'd like to hear from you. I haven't been active on this forum for quite awhile, Sandstorm has been so good, he's become a wonderful dog, so I haven't had any real problems, but feel Im missing something by not being active on these forums as I used to be. Sandstorm has posted much more than I have!

ghggp likes this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Sca was an only dog at first and was OK without Spitfire. He liked him and played a ton but did not stress if Spitfire was not around. Spitfire on the other hand was totally lost when Sca died. He also loves Angus and is back to his normal evil self. Also Angus does not like being just himself he wants me or Spitfire around.

So I guess my point is Sandstorm will probably like a buddy to play with. The puppy however will likely declare Sandstorm his #1 hero.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie here:
    I really appreciate that - I namely get allowed to read the post from my SN friends:yes:
    But sometimes mom says "forbidden area for Minnie" :gaah
    and I do not understand this when it is from my friends !!

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and Jams like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Personally I think two Sheltie's is the perfect fit (this coming from someone who has three lol). Piper was my first Sheltie and is the love of my life and we did (and still do) so much together from his obedience to just taking him everywhere. Then I took in an older Sheltie ( a friend passed away and no family wanted her older boy), a big loveable oversized ( 19") friendly boy that Piper loved from the get go! It worked out great with Riley, he loves Piper (who is dwarfed by Riley at only 13 3/4").
    With Finnie of course it just shows that twos company and threes a crowd :ROFLMAO:...plus given that Piper was just 3 when Finnie came home he was very jealous of my giving Finnie affection (still get the stink eye from Piper).
    I love all three of my boys and they all fit in now, it's getting much better as Finnie gets older (almost 9 months now) but I sometimes miss having only 2...2 dogs is easy, three is work lol. Of course by the time Finnie is 3 my opinion will probably change, we're still in that puppy phase so perhaps in a year I'll get puppy fever again hahaha.

ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here! Minnie! My hooman wants a little girl sheltie called Minnie!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie here:
    Sandstorm I can only say - you can really look forward to get a "Minnie" she will be ready for a big party every day :yes:

Do not tell your mom what my mother says :biggrin2:
    Minnie
    - now you are too smart
    - now you are really too naughty
    - do not stand there and bark at me, I am really hurrying
    - you are not a police officer
    - you do not decide when I throw the ball
    - why can I not be mad at you when you're so terrible ??

Because she loves me so much :lol::lol:

Cara Sandler and KarenCurtis like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here, go Minnie!

Hanne likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have to agree with Lisa on three is more work than two. That said, I love having three!
    I am at the same stage is with a new puppy... definitely more work...

As you say, your husband will have more time if you decide to get a puppy.

I LOVED to rescue older shelties but when they all passed within three years of each other it became more trauma than I could cope with at this stage in my life. I completely understand wanting to get a puppy... They are so much fun. With one dog getting older and the thought of not having many more years to share... it only makes sense to get a puppy to ease the transition for you and your husband and Sandstorm. If I lost one without another to comfort me I fear I would just fall into depression. Shelties are the best breed ever! Good luck in your search and I know Sandstorm will love a playmate! I have never owned a jealous sheltie.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Sargent Sandstorm! Get a sister! I have three sisters, and I love them. Mom says we are getting two more Shelties to babysit while their Dad has cancer treatment. One is a girl -- hooray! I will try to be nice to be nice to the boy. there will be seven in our pack. Mom made the humans promise not to complain about the noise.
    Colonel Underpants

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! Yes a big part of this decision is that I need a sheltie when Sandstorm is gone, and yes I would get depressed I think! Sandstorm is a very special dog, Not only is he our first dog from a reputable breeder, he kind of took the place of our son in a way. I have a special needs son who resides in a psychiatric facility, where he is getting great care, but when he left our home we felt such a loss, and then our old dog died! We got Sandstorm two weeks later and what joy he brought us!!!