Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why doesn’t my sheltie like to be touched or snuggles

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by kayla, Apr 17, 2019.

1. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    she always sits far away never snuggles me HATTTESSS snuggles doesn’t like being held and always steps back or runs away from me if I reach for her as if I’m going to pick her up and she doesn’t want to be picked up I don’t understand is this sheltie behavior or what? She’s not scared she just doesn’t want me to pick her up or something!

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    How old is she? Often it's a stage they go through as youngsters.

Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin never liked snuggles until he hit 10. He would tolerate them once he passed the pup stage, but never sought them out. How old is she? if she playful?

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I Was wondering how old she is too but Caro beat me too it. My boy Piper who is 4 now didn't care for cuddles until he was at least a year old. Prior to that he loved everyone and would go to them for pats but no cuddling. Once he got a bit older he realized he loved me best but will still go to my mom for cuddling.
    Finnie on the other hand (he's 14 months) went through a phase at 10 weeks where he didn't like being held or carried and no matter what I tried he still hates it but boy is he a cuddler...but even with him it wasn't until he was at least 11 months that he started to change.
    Just be patient with her, play with her lots, pet her where SHE likes to lay and give her treats while you do this. Over time she'll realize that your her favourite human and she'll come to you for petting.

Sharon7 and Caro like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    We are missing the back story. Is she a rescue? Rehomed? Puppy? Important info regarding a sheltie, as they do not behave like the average dog.
    That being said, I brought Fillion home at 8 weeks. He is now 6. This year is the first time I have ever been able to hold him and count to 10 Mississippi.
    My two former shelties were non socialized reactive dogs that recoiled from touch for a looonnggg time. I got them at age 1. Eventually they became loving dogs but not really snugglers.

ghggp, Ann, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie is a very independent and very loving Sheltie but definitely not a lap dog,
    but would like to cuddle when she wants to. :yes:

SheepOfBlue, RikyR, kayla and 2 others like this.
  7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Snuggle? C'mon mom chase me and play!

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Not all are snugglers, period. Some are loving but independent. Try to be patient - good advice above. My first girl was a bit of a snuggler, the next two not so much, and Ally HATED being picked up her whole life. Brooke and Faith are very loving and affectionate, tons of kisses, but not usually snugglers or lap dogs. Elijah - YES. He loves to lay on us, and snuggle up.

I know it may be disappointing to you as we all have expectations of the perfect dog, but I'm sure your girl is a great dog anyway.

Jams and kayla like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've heard that girls are more reserved than boys in the snuggle department and that's mostly true with my crew, although Barkley, our lone boy, never cuddles or snuggles and squirms like a worm if you try to pick him up. Three of my girls will snuggle occasionally; two rarely, and only if I have food. As others have said, it's just personality. Some are cuddly; some just aren't.

I took a course a while back in handling shy or reserved dogs. One of the most important things I learned, that really helpded me with my problem pup, was that it's vital to let them come to you so contact is on their terms. I know that flies against traditional training of the human as alpha, but Shelties aren't a typical breed. Sit on the floor so you're at her level. Give her treats and stop there or just praise verbally...don't try to grab or hold her. Teach her "touch." Hold your hand out flat at her nose level and treat her whenever she touches your hand with her nose. Eventually, when you say "touch," she'll bonk your hand with her nose. That's the start of contact that she initiates. It worked well for me and I still use touch in stressful situations with her. Above all, be patient and don't push.

jomuir, KarenCurtis, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  10. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    Thanks! I DO notice when I’m on the ground at her level and don’t reach for her but let her come to me she’s much
    More willing to touch or sniff me

jomuir and KarenCurtis like this.