Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why will Monty only drink milk

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Darren, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Darren

Darren Forums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2019
    I'm really stuck and just wanted to see if anyone else had ever seen this or know what to do.
    I've only had Monty approx 2.5 months and don't really know much of his history apart from being 3yrs old and super small. After getting him home for the first time he did not drink for 2 days. I then caught him licking a little milk out of one of the childrens ceral dishes and thought I would try that. I bought some dog friendly goats milk from the pet store and he drank it within seconds of it being in his bowl.
    Over the next few weeks I tried different bowls in different places with water and he would not drink. I've tried drinking fountains, diluting the milk slightly and nothing works and after a couple days I have to go back to milk so he doesn't dehydrate. Put a little undiluted milk down though and it's gone in seconds.
    The vet can't seem to find anything wrong so I'm thinking it may just be behavioral. Everytime I just put water down he will not drink. I've just given up now and he gets a bowl of goats milk everyday, am I just going to have to give him milk for life haha?

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    This is not something I've had experience with, or heard of. I can't think what might cause it. If he is eating a strict canned food diet he may not drink much as there is a lot of water in canned food, but still.... it is a puzzle. Hope someone here can give some insight.....

Darren likes this.
  3. Darren

Darren Forums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2019
    Thanks Sharon, it's just a bit of a mystery, I'm trying to work out if i'm doing something wrong or if it's just a Monty thing. He is on wet food as he'll not eat anything hard like kibble or biscuits for some reason despite his teeth being perfect. I feel he should be drinking as well though which he wont do unless it's milk haha.

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I've never heard of this either,
    I would try to dilute the milk more and more with water.

Regarding kibble (tiny)
    have you tried to spread a few of these on the floor
    - and encourage Monty to find them??

Darren and Ann like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is a head scratcher for sure! Wonder if he grew up on a farm and they had milk on hand constantly and that is why?

I have had a hard time getting Beau to drink enough water. Ann suggested add a bit of chicken broth to his food. Since it was higher in sodium it makes him thirsty and he drinks more. Can you try adding a bit of water in his food?

some dogs won’t drink water from different places! I know that is why Lisa brought water from home when she was at the show.

I hope someone can shed light on this very perplexing issue. I know many breeders will give goats milk to puppies that aren’t getting enough from mom.

I agree with constantly diluting it with water. I only give my boys filtered water now.

Let us know how it goes...

Darren likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Darren likes this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    That is a new one, Darren! I agree with diluting the milk with water as others have said but I see that your post says you've tried that. My only other thought is to try some diulted chicken broth or beef broth and see if he'll drink that. You can also try putting an ice cube down and see if he'll lick it. Goats milk should be fine for him but I'd ask your vet if it's OK for him to have that and nothing else.

Monty is going to keep you on your toes for sure! :lol:

Darren likes this.
  8. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    Maybe your water tastes funny to him. Dogs can taste water much more keenly than humans. How about trying some store bought water? Maybe there is something in your water and he is acting as an early warning system?

DianeP, Darren and Ann like this.
  9. Darren

Darren Forums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2019
    Thank you everyone for the feed-back, you've given me some great ideas.
    I've tried diluting the milk but if I put any more than the smallest drop of water he leaves the milk. I've put an ice cube down today and he decided he was going to bury it under the rug haha.
    Now the one that me laugh, I just tried dropping one of his favorite treats into a small water bowl like the attached video, he walked over, looked in, tipped the bowl all over the floor, picked up the treat and walked away. Leaving me with water all over to clean up :banghead: lol I'm sure he is testing me :ROFLMAO:
    I'd not even thought about trying store water, I'm going to try that tonight and tomorrow morning to see if it works. If that doesn't work I'll try the Chicken broth as he has to like that lol...I need to lay down, how he can be so timid outside and yet a total trouble maker in his home is a mystery :lol:

If I can solve the water problems I'll move on to the hard food mystery, thank you for the tip Hanne.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    If he came from a rescue, can you contact them to see if he had this behavior while he was with them? It really is kinda odd. I agree, little Monty will keep you on you toes!

Darren, Hanne and Ann like this.