Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

WHY?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by ghggp, Oct 6, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    This is the strangest thing...

When I let everyone out to do their business, Beau will lick the rain off the downspout pad I have near the back door. If that is not bad enough, he also will go back out to lick an area of wet pavement where green moss is growing. Why? This is so strange as I always have clean water available in two places in the house. I am just at a complete loss as to why he is doing this. I have seen mice and rat droppings around the area and I am really concerned about this continued habit. I stop him from doing it immediately.

Also, Beau just seems more subdued than the other two. He plays with Liam, in short, bursts. He seems winded after a mile walk. I had a full blood thyroid panel done on him and got the all clear. I was concerned about his weight gain. I called my vet and want to know if I should do bloodwork. His eating habits are great. His stool is solid. Last night he would not even come upstairs to bed. Beau is only four years old so I don't think it is a gallbladder issue.

Maybe I am just an overprotective and over concerned mom. But, even when my brother comes over he comments on how subdued Beau is. Thoughts?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Gloria, I would have a Lyme test done, even if you don't have many ticks in your area. There are new diseases this year that even dog ticks can carry. If all Beau's other bloodwork checks out, trust your instincts. Something is going on.

Also, I know he's young but it's worth having a gallbladder ultrasound done. My dogs who have had g/b problems eat just fine right up to the day of their surgeries, so appetite is really not an indicator unfortunately. And I've heard of even young Shelties with g/b problems. It's unusual, but possible.

There is also the possibility that he's just out of sorts about the puppy. If all the health indicators are negative, that could be it. It take some dogs months to come around to a new little one in the house!

ghggp likes this.
  3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I would also recommend going forward with the full blood panel. I tend to do yearly blood panels, especially by age 4. Even if nothing pops up it’s so nice to have the comparison year to year.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm thinking the same thing about perhaps a tick bourne illness. If your gut tells you he's not right, then he's not right. Don't forget my little incident with the tick paralysis! Faith was just fine and then a few hours later, disabled! Also, is he drinking more water in general? His getting winded after walking is definitely a concern also. Poor guy!:( Keep us in the loop, Gloria!

Ann and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for the directions and insights.

I spoke to the vet about Beau today and scheduled a full blood panel for Wednesday along with a Heartworm test. I will do an ultrasound too if we don’t uncover anything else. Since we don’t have a ticks in this area I will ask the vet about testing for Lyme disease.

I have not noticed any excessive drinking.

Just a question... would bloodwork give clues if a gallbladder issue is involved?

I will post more on Wednesday. Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Ann likes this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I hope everything is OK.

I don’t think blood work would show gallbladder issues. Hollie’s symptoms were mostly vomiting bile and occasionally pain. All of which was dismissed as her having Lyme disease and just a sensitive stomach. One day she just stopped eating and was vomiting. Blood work then showed she was in liver failure, ultrasound showed a very large mucocele. Blood work a few months prior only showed slightly elevated liver enzymes which we all attribute to the daily anti inflammatories she was on.

ghggp likes this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    No on the bloodwork, Gloria. Gallbladder mucoceles and sluge can only be identied via ultrasound. Bloodwork will show if there's infection or liver problems, but it's usually well advanced by then as Shelby's mom said. I've had to have bloodwork done on my girls before their GB surgeries. In Checkers' case, her bloodwork was fine and when they removed the gallbladder they found a mucoceles forming.

ghggp likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Deska licks moist dirt, alot, and I have no idea why. I've put him on vitamins, switched up protein, had full bloods, and had a vet behaviour consult. In the end lay shade cloth on worst areas in winter and watch him closely, esp in spring because the extra microbes in the soil gives him upset tummies. I guess it just tastes good.

While you're getting everything else done I'd ask the vet to check his joints, not that I'd expect anything, but when Deska was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia there were subtle signs like being subdued, putting on weight, not playing with Tully. How old is Beau again?

Of course it could just be that Beau has found a new flavoured water - eau de moss. You should taste it yourself and see!

ghggp likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    When it came to gallbladder experiences, my first rescue Billy had symptoms of vomiting up bile. He of course was older and I never knew about this condition. He ended up in ICU. That is where I first heard about ultrasound used to detect it. He was too weak for surgery and was due for an ultrasound in another 6 months but he had a massive attack at 4 months and I lost him at 11.

Ever since then, I have ultrasounds done early if I notice vomiting after 5. Anyway, when I got Mr Chance tested, he was showing bile build up and I got him on medication which controled it. I was happy not to put him through surgery.

Beau does not seem to have any tenderness in his tummy. I had not considered joint issues. My stairs to the second floor are really steep as I live in a small cape cod home. He jumps on the sofa without any issues. But, my sofa is really low.

I am hoping all checks out fine and nothing serious shows up. I just can’t bear the thought of anything going wrong.

Thanks for the information on bloodwork not showing gallbladder issues. I always am learning great info from my friends at SN! Beau and I thank you!

Ann likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I also find that Piper and Riley will lick anything outside that's wet with dew or rain, drives me crazy but then perhaps it just tastes better to them?
    I second looking into joint issues, dogs are really good at hiding discomfort. Try giving him a massage and look for any signs that something is bothering him. I know with Piper I look for any sign of a limp or if he gets up funny and favours his left leg (nothing now but I'm so careful about not letting them run like crazy).
    Of course there's always the possibility he's just showing his displeasure for the puppy...Piper now has the habit of going upstairs when I go out, he will refuse to come down for anything (will come down for a cookie but run right back up)... Even if I take Finnie with me Piper goes up!
    Another thought, perhaps it's just him adjusting to your home? I know he's been with you awhile but with the added stress of the pup who knows. Perhaps try walking him alone and see if his behaviour changes...maybe he needs more one on one time with you?
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Caro and ghggp like this.