Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Willow conquers the box

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Aug 7, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I never know what will bring out the quirky Sheltie that lurks just under Willow's multi-colored coat. At times she looks at the scariest things with equanimity. Brilliant, blinding flashes of lightning with a rolling wave of thunderous sound are nothing to her. Garbage trucks that reach out to grab our bins and empty them with a clanking and grinding shake before dropping them back down with a thud, nope, no reaction.

However, an eight by twelve-inch box was a cause for deep concern.

This morning my wife was in the process of recycling the almond milk box when Willow took it into her head that this was a mysterious and very dangerous item. She barked at it wildly and followed my wife, barking, to the recycling bin.

Holding the evil object out for inspection did nothing to quell her warning barks. I suggested my wife toss a bit of kibble inside it and put it down to see what Willow would do.

Willow circled it.

Willow nuzzled it.

She barked out a warning to the offensive box.

She pushed it around the floor but she would NOT put her nose inside to snap up the kibble even though it was obvious that she dearly wanted the crunchy morsels, so tantalizingly close, sitting just at the bottom of the small box.

She patrolled around it.

She looked at alternatives, should she paw it, should she bite it? In the end, she gathered her courage and stuck her muzzle inside and ate the kibble. After eating what was in there, she pulled her muzzle out and now ignores the conquered monster box completely. After all, everyone knows it's just a box.

The monster:
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...713410788-7294688914097678922-IMG_1898-X2.jpg

The conclusion:
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...13410788--5495681989374448015-IMG_1902-4K.jpg

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    That is HILARIOUS, Glenn! What a great story. At least Willow conquered the box! Flurry is still checking our ceilings nightly in case there's a killer fly lurking there waiting to menace her. If she thinks she sees something, she's off to the closet. Brave, brave Sheltie. Not! :rolleyes2:

Margi, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Great job Willow for saving your family from the monster box! lol. Isn’t it funny what becomes the enemy...this morning at our house it was hubby taking the trash bag out of the kitchen waste container...barking, running around it and jumping at it (thank goodness he didn’t rip it open). Every day is a new adventure in puppy world!

Sandy in CT, Ann, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Not only is the story hilarious, but your description is priceless, and shows you really have a lot of insight into your Willow. Really got a good laugh out of this. The quirkiest thing I can think of among all my Shelties is my first girl Skye, she HATED the "click" of the glass shower door into the metal framework. I mean, that sound would bring her running to savage the offending door. We could not figure that one out, and she was very persistent about it.

5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Try living with Spitfire....lightning, dogs on TV, the MotoGP transition sound, putting a new garbage bag in the kitchen, doorbell and the list goes on. He is a nutter.

Sandy in CT, Calliesmom, Ann and 2 others like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I agree with the 'priceless' comment. Your words are so descriptive, you bring Willow into our lives. We can see her, feel her - you have a gift!

I have a shredder so boxes are met with delight (as is toilet paper, paper towels, and heaven forbid I leave the cabinet open where I keep the napkin basket!).

7. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Ahhhh it was you! I remember someone posted this on my thread about having to sneak around trying to avoid setting the shelties off, but I couldn't remember who! Benson is now going off at the shower door click. I swear, one could go certifiably crazy trying to plumb the depths of the Sheltie psyche...

Sharon7 and GlennR like this.