Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Willow experiences her first storm

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Apr 15, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Last night we had a thunderstorm. It was the first one that Willow has encountered and she wasn't pleased about it. She didn't try to hide or run away but when thunder rolled, Willow barked back. Even with a choice of laps to take refuge in or receive reassurance from she stood her ground.

Fortunately, she didn't get frantic about it. One thunderclap, one bark. The thunder diminished fairly rapidly, perhaps twenty minutes or so until it passed heading east.

The rest of the night was just rain, lots of rain. The swamp of despair is, once again, reestablished in my back yard. This morning I stood in the rain while Willow used her ex-pen. By the time she was done, large flakes of snow were falling. What crazy weather we are having here.

Ann likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Dixie says that thunder does not have her permission to be in her territory and she will definitely keep telling it that until she successfully chases it away:winkgrin:

Hanne, RikyR, GlennR and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    We had the mother of all thunderstorms here about 6 weeks ago, I mean I have NEVER in my lifetime seen anything like it in Southern California. It went on for almost 2 hours and just lit up the house. Unbelievably Brooke slept through it which was great because she is terrified of the sound. Her hearing isn't what it used to be. The other two didn't like it and barked quite a bit, but weren't terrified.

It really has been crazy weather everywhere. Hoping we don't have another broiling summer here....

GlennR likes this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We had one here as well. Kooper is terrified of thunder and he normal starts crying long before I hear a storm. He barks, I end up sleeping on the couch usually but leave him in his kennel.

Not sure if it was because Brodie is right next to him in his kennel - and I cover the two together so they can see each other, but last night (early this morning) wasn't as bad as usual. Kooper started to cry, then bark when the thunder got closer. Brodie much have thought Kooper was trying to sing, because Brodie started to howl. I quickly wrapped Kooper in his thunder shirt, closed the blinds in the living room, turned the tv on low and they both quieted down and no more issues.

Pretty wild thunder and wind we had, heavy rain which we could use - drier spring yet again this year.

GlennR likes this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    We have our big storms in Feb. It was so quiet. Mr D used to go ballistic during storms, now when we have thunder Tully and the cats look around at each other and me trying to work out what to do now they don't have crazy boy running the show.

Hanne and GlennR like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
  7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    You seen Gremlins? Never expose Spitfire to lightning and thunder.......never.

Pre-Gremlin
    7D2_3931.jpg

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well Spitfire might be a Horror, but he is seriously cute, too!!

Sandy in CT, KarenCurtis, Ann and 4 others like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    But he's so cute!!!

10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    He would have you wrapped around his evil paw.