Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Willow' s weekend visit with her grandparents

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, May 13, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow had her first extended car ride this weekend and I'd say we had mixed results with it. We went north to spend Mother's Day with my wife's parents, both well into their nineties. On the way up, getting out of town was a lot of stop and go. She was a bit distressed, happy enough if we were rolling on smooth pavement but she'd bark at every bump and when it started to rain she would bark every time the windshield wipers squeaked. It wasn't lots but enough to put a little edge into the driving experience but once we were well away from the city and on smooth highway she fell asleep in her crate.

We made our first stop after about two hours and although we walked her about she didn't want to do her business there. I even set up the ex-pen but she would not go. I offered water but she wasn't interested. I wasn't too worried at that point. When we hopped back in the van and got underway she settled fairly quickly, only voicing her displeasure if the roadway was bumpy.

After a couple more hours we arrived at my wife's parents' house. My son took Willow around the block while we brought in our luggage and her things. She didn't pee. My son brought Willow in and she was over the moon with enthusiasm meeting my wife's parents. She crawled right up in their laps, as they were in recliners, and I had to reign in her frantic greetings with some treats to come to me and stay a bit. By the time bedtime came around, I'd only managed to encourage Willow to take the smallest of drinks. Multiple trips to her ex-pen didn't produce anything.

The next morning she finally peed, like a dam burst, and I thought the water troubles over but... the grandparents kept their gas fireplace roaring the whole time and it was way too hot for anyone but the really elderly. Willow was panting a lot so I made sure to get her out into the cool and offered her water which she was taking. She didn't pee all day, not on any walk, not in the ex-pen. It became pretty obvious that she wasn't going because the panting was dehydrating her. I increased the number of times I offered ice cold water and she drank each time. In the evening she went on a few walks and managed to pee each time so holding her water dish while she drank seemed to work well. I was pretty worried for a while though.

On the big plus side, she handled being in a new place well and really turned on the charm for the grandparents, cuddling with them every chance she got and running through all her tricks and commands. She did the usual sit, down, stay, come and added in high five and roll over for good measure. They also got a kick out of her tackling her two food puzzles with ruthless efficiency.

On the drive home, Willow refused to pee when we stopped. We tried a couple of different venues for her to no avail. It's not like she was frightened at the stops, she walked around sniffing, she ate her dinner and drank a normal amount after eating and hopped back into the van to continue.

Once home she slipped back into routine without missing a beat. When we got home she peed the moment she got in her ex-pen and then went normally on command the rest of the night and this morning.

She got noticed on her walks too. One chap driving by slowed right down to get a good look at her and had a big grin as he gave a thumbs up before driving away. The people we met on the street and trails commented on her too. I'm pretty sure Willow loved everything except for the drive to get to this small town.

So, for you seasoned Sheltie travelers, does anything like this happen to you?

2. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    It's amazing how long they can hold it. My first car trip with my first pair of shelties was a 12 hr drive to friend's house. No drinking no peeing no nuttin'. I was so worried! We got there and they were fine once in her back yard, but it sure put a damper on the ride there. We did that in one day (ah young enough to drive a 6 hour shift LOL) but what was worse was the next trip to Dallas we got a motel room half way. There is nothing worse than being in the middle of west Texas walking around a motel at night, dog tired, with a sheltie that refuses to do his business on a leash.
    I vowed my next two would be good travelers! And they are. I took Fil everywhere starting very young. Everybody does their biz on leash. I have learned not to be so freaked about water. If they are thirsty they will drink. On a cross country 2 week trip I don't think either of them drank in the van.

3. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Margi, thanks for the reassurance that Willow isn't completely alone in her behavior. I was very worried while traveling. Willow seemed unfazed by the whole thing. She goes on lead all the time here as we worked on that for the past month or so giving extra treats for going on command. That didn't translate to travel time at all though.

Margi, KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I would say get her out and about more in the car so she begins to think it's second nature to get in the car and go somewhere new.

I love to drive places. I have a daughter in college in IN which is 13 hours away. Our son was in OH, 11 hours away, when we got Brodie, I needed to make sure I didn't have an anti-car ride dog. I've taken him in the car everywhere since we got him. We use the Lookout II car seat with a hug-a-dog harness. My seatbelt holds the car seat safely and then a strap from the seat-belt attaches to the hug-a-dog harness. Brodie travels in complete comfort. He is so used to travel, when you put him in, he lays down and sleeps, only showing any interest if I pull up to a building - he is accustomed to my Dunkin Donuts coffee addiction and now expects a plain munchkin.

We drive an hour Sat and Sun to visit our son, I drive an hour to my trail hikes every Thursday. We take Brodie to the airport if we are picking someone up. Whenever we can, we take him with us. The more you subject Willow to new things with travel, the more non-chalant she will become when you travel - and she'll pee in new places instead of holding it, etc. With Brodie, if he drinks, he drinks - I always carry a collapsible bowl in the drawer of his car seat. When he has to pee, he will pee.

5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    [QUOTE="Sandy in CT, post: 384418, member: 9316"... We use the Lookout II car seat with a hug-a-dog harness. My seatbelt holds the car seat safely and then a strap from the seat-belt attaches to the hug-a-dog harness. Brodie travels in complete comfort. He is so used to travel, when you put him in, he lays down and sleeps, only showing any interest if I pull up to a building - he is accustomed to my Dunkin Donuts coffee addiction and now expects a plain munchkin.

...[/QUOTE]

Sandy, thanks for the information. I have been crating her for travel and she had been for short trips but no long ones before. The car seat looks interesting. Is it the one below? Willow is bigger than Brodie I think. Does Brodie have lots of room?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...f9e-5fa9-9347-087ad2803b82&pf_rd_i=6292230011

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Calliesmom likes this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Similar, yes, but our Lookout II is larger. We have the medium Lookout II and we are able to still fit Brodie and Kooper in ours together although Brodie is MUCH happier on his own. The medium Lookout II is a bit larger than the seat shown in your link. Link says it is 16L x 15W and our medium lookout is 22 long x 17 deep with interior dimensions of 18 wide x 14 deep.

I like having the hidden storage drawer - we keep a metal bowl, collapsible bowl (for hiking), extra leash, ball for fetch and when we travel we keep snacks int here as well.

We've had ours since our first small standard doxie and have easily put over 100K miles on it. Buddy traveled from CT to Newfoundland a few times, to Montreal, to Florida and all points in between. Not cheap, but well made, well padded and the cover we have has survived multiple washings without fading or falling apart.

KarenCurtis, Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Converting from metric the one I'm looking at from Amazon.ca says 29 inches by 17. It is the large version.

Brand Snoozer
    Model Number 80003
    Colour Black
    Item Weight 3.4 Kg
    Product Dimensions 76.2 x 45.7 x 45.7 cm

KarenCurtis likes this.
  8. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    The first time Sca went away he held it for two days. This was not his yard and well that is not where you go. Dam burst is a good description at rest area #3 on the way home LOL. He finally got were flyball was OK but at first would hold out the first day, he was very dignified and there was proper and things Sca did not do ;-). As to water fill a gallon jug of your house water. It is what she is used to and it smells right. Also she is less apt to have upset stomach from strange water issues.

Of course Spitfire was always like I am a millimeter into grass time to let it fly!

9. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Somehow I had ended up looking at a seat from PetSmart, yes that Amazon.ca one is our seat but a large version. It is a great seat, not cheap but great seat!

GlennR likes this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Ah, that was my fault as I edited to put the Amazon seat in place of the PetSmart one. I must have done the edit too late for you. :):)