Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Willow' s weekend visit with her grandparents

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, May 13, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    We did bring water from home, not that it helped too much. Getting her to drink required cold and fresh water only. She acts like a princess. You must have been quite concerned with a two day wait for Sca to go.

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I remember similar issues and when we brought Asta home as a puppy she held it for the longest time, I dunno but they seem to be so particular about where they go. They all got over it eventually and will go potty when we travel. The only other time it's been a problem was when we took them to the snow - not one liked going potty in the snow so we'd have to search for areas that were cleared or under trees....:rolleyes2:

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    We try to train the show dogs to go on command for just that reason, but sometimes there's just no convincing them. A few of mine are good about peeing in strange places but others, notably Flurry, absolutely refuse to perform unless she's in her own back yard. And even though I always bring water from home, she has no interest in drinking either. When we do finally land at home, she attacks the water bowl. Since most of our shows are one-day, I don't worry too much. If we were doing an overnight, I'd mix extra water in with her food to keep her hydrated. In a pinch, you can also add a bit of chicken broth to water to encourage her to drink.

In my experience, once they are "full enough," they will grudgingly pee. We train with a command phrase for elimination: go pee; hurry up; be a good girl, whatever you want to assign the chore. You might try doing that with Willow when you take her out or on walks. They don't always obey, but it does help!

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  4. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    We've trained to "Are you done?" since we first brought her home and it works a treat at home or on walks from home. It was like we'd never uttered it when we were traveling. :)

KarenCurtis, Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I've been lucky with that but mine have all been travelling lots......
    Cran will hold out the longest on the poo until he has to but they'll all pee somewhere.....
    and they all have potty commands too...
    also no issues with drinking any water anywhere that we've been.........

Ann and GlennR like this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    He was at a Sheltie party and going wild playing with all the other puppies. I really did not notice at first then was like what! thus the 3 rest area stops. Flyball trips was kind of a pain until he figured out he could not hold it all weekend. Even then he had to find the ultimate spot LOL. He did improve a little when Spitfire came into the house. For a dog that could go wild playing flyball and frisbee Sca was all about proper other times.

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We took Sandstorm on every car trip; to the store, to our walking trails and beaches. We have to go in the car to excersize our dog, so he got used to the car quickly. Every weekend we visit our son who is one hour, 15 minutes away, we've been taking him since he was an older puppy. He has been on three trips to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ( the most beautiful place on the east coast I've ever been to) and this is a two day trip with an overnight at a hotel. The first day it's ten hours, the second day six. When we get there it's hours of driving every day, as it's a driving around the Island vacation. He does really well, and we are hoping Minnie will too. We stop frequently and Sandstorm has been excellent! We just use a harness attached to the seatbelt.

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    All in all, I think everything turned out great... My boys never went out to pee or poop when we were on the road, shy of Logan who was a show dog and used to travel.
    I bet she will even get better over time. Not surprised at all someone slowed down to get a good look at her... she is one beautiful Sheltie!

Liam was a whiner in the car today when going to class. On the way back he was tired and quiet in his crate.

Calliesmom, KarenCurtis and GlennR like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan

I agree...

"As to water fill a gallon jug of your house water. It is what she is used to and it smells right. Also she is less apt to have upset stomach from strange water issues."

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow says "Thank you!" as her Lookout II arrived and she used it on the way to the vets to pick up the summer heartworm and flea/tick pills. She adapted pretty much instantly and seemed to love riding in it. I love the drawer it has, very handy. I think they must come with some magic spell or something as it worked so well, right away.

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and Calliesmom like this.