Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Willow watches the sky.

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, May 20, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    First off I am going to apologize for not having any pictures of this but I didn't have my phone on me.

When we went on our morning walk yesterday we crossed through a big empty soccer field. As we approached I was trying to determine if the young man I saw in the middle of the field had an off-leash dog with him as he was obviously watching something from the way he stood. It's a popular place for lawbreakers to run their dogs off-leash, a pet peeve of mine if you'll pardon the pun.

I looked down at Willow who'd stopped walking while she scanned the sky. I followed her gaze and saw that the chap was flying a drone. As we approached the edge of the field, Willow started to show real interest. She has an almost psychic ability to determine how far the extended leash will let her go away from me and so kept within those boundaries even when running flat out. She thought the drone was fascinating and barked and ran circles and urged me to get closer.

The pilot saw her happy delight in the drone so he flew it closer to us, but kept it a safe height and distance from Willow who by now was play bowing as she and the drone pilot danced this way and that. I was grinning, Willow was grinning and the chap was smiling from ear to ear. It's impossible to not smile when a Sheltie is that happy about something. Willow ran in big circles around me, bowed to the drone, barked at it, and generally had a manic bit of fun. She hasn't really had a good run since they closed all the dog parks. It was a great way to enjoy the warm sunshine of the day.

I think Willow wants a drone of her own now...but she's not going to get it from me.

ghggp, RikyR, Hanne and 7 others like this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Poor Willow...puppy or drone......

GlennR, Wendy C, Darren and 3 others like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Glenn, you have such a beautiful way with words, I can 'see' Willow's antics through your writing....

ghggp, GlennR, Wendy C and 4 others like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm with Sheep, just think the fun she'd have with a puppy of her own! ;) :lol:
    Seriously that description was so evocative for me, I bet it was just a blast for her and so much fun for the humans too. I wonder what my group would have thought of that. Our Ally had a thing about birds - she chased them off the bird feeder if there were too many (we never figured out what "too many " were in her mind). She would have gone bonkers over a drone.

ghggp, GlennR, Wendy C and 3 others like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You describe this so well I don't need a video!

ghggp, Sandy in CT, GlennR and 2 others like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Well now, Glenn....how can you deny your precious little girl something that gives her so much pleasure? Think of the fun you'd have flying it! :yes: Seriously, your post made me smile picturing Willow and The Drone. I wonder what she'd do with a plane overhead! :biggrin2:

ghggp, Hanne, Sandy in CT and 5 others like this.
  7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Sca used to chase planes.

Calliesmom, GlennR, Ann and 3 others like this.
  8. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Great description Glenn, It looks like Willow had so much fun with the drone!

ghggp, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  9. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Oh, Glenn - come on :hide of course you buy one for Willow :ROFLMAO:

ghggp, Ann, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Nothing gets past your girl! She is once observant sheltie...
    Your description did not need a video or pictures... so, no apology necessary!

GlennR, Darren and Sharon7 like this.