Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Winter returns

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Feb 6, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Snowy and cold is today's and tomorrow's forecast. On the plus side, Willow loves the snow. On the negative side, it's not so much fun for dad. On today's walk, and yes she's only getting one today, we only met a couple of dogs and the dog park was completely empty. None of that seemed discouraging to my little Miss.

Here's a shot of the trail where we walked through the naturalized section of the park belt. Willow is looking down the hill at the meadow below where the coywolves often hunt. These days I carry a very loud air horn and a coyote spray in case any of the encounters get too close for comfort. We have seen them dozens of times now, they don't have a lot of fear of people, but they've never approached closer than thirty feet and that was when they ran by us. More usually we see them 100 yards or so.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/Willow/i-CFs8pWz/0/3892260e/X2/IMG_2486-X2.jpg

We used the big empty dog park to practice recall. She comes every time when there are no other dogs, not so well if there is a potential playmate running around. Still, I don't feel like she'd run away on me as the few times I've dropped the leash accidentally she has just stopped walking and waited until I managed to pick it up again.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...4125486-5823188157178659904-IMG_2492-1280.mp4

Calliesmom, Hanne, Ann and 5 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Such a lovely picture of Willow and a very good recall! Glad you protect yourselves against the wildlife!
    Winter is back here too...Saturday is a high of -20 C brrrrr!

GlennR likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Great recall!!!!!!!!

We've been practicing ours regularly but I too wonder what would occur in an emergency. I've smelled skunk a few times over the past few weeks, believe one has been under one of our sheds although must visit, not be living, so we've been quite concerned with recall! Mating season in Feb/Mar so you smell them around at an odd time of year.

PS - the older I get , the more I hate the cold. Brodie, unfortunately, is unfizzed by it. Kooper is more of my frame of mind. My Newfie hubby will get his best chance at cold this weekend - he is meeting his brother in Montreal.

TheDailyPainter and GlennR like this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I was at a gathering at a hobby farm (think goats and chickens) with about 20 great Pyrenees dogs. I lost sight of Gavin and figured he was bothering the goats, so I yelled his name. He ran right to me, weaving through people and up stairs to the deck. everyone turned and stared. great pyrenees don't do that....the might mosey to you if you call them but even then it is iffy.

Nothing beats the feeling of a happy dog running to you when you call :)

5. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Always good to see Willow having fun in the snow. Amazing recall also, well done Willow!!!!

Sharon7, GlennR and Sandy in CT like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    (Me, waving furiously to the deaf Sheltie) "Layla, COME!!! :lol:

Sharon7 and GlennR like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Destin will always come if there's a leash on.... mostly he comes when there's no leash but I don't do that in unfenced areas very often......

GlennR likes this.