Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Wondering what breeds do well with shelties

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Pam, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi,
    I am thinking of adding to my fur family--notice the word "thinking"--it may be years LOL My husband is uncertain, given Beau's fence running and bunny mania, that he wants another sheltie(obviously I disagree). :sick::( And although he is doing really really well in many facets, he is a handful. Sigh. Now Beau, by report, plays really well with all the other dogs at doggie daycare but his favorite is a Lakeland Terrier--not sure I want a terrier. So just wondering if there are other breeds that do best with shelties.

BTW, I will keep pushing for another sheltie, only time will tell. As Beau is improving in so many ways, I am hoping his sudden urge to chase wildlife will quiet down a bit. Walks are usually pretty great these days.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Really, something other than a sheltie??? I have rescued so many shelties over the years and not one was a fence runner, bunny chaser, or overly excitable. That said, they were 5 and over! Why not consider an older sheltie? Funny, I have seen many shelties on this site with Poms as buddies...

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    One of Cranberry's first friends was a Pom....
    but mine have been around all kinds of dogs and have gotten along with all of them.
    Destin's first buddy was a beagle but they moved away.....

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Another Sheltie says Angus

Pam and ghggp like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We have had a Beagle-Corgi mix (Corgis and Shelties are a good combo) and now we have a Papillion. good all the way around!

Pam likes this.
  6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I was thinking Papillon as they are smaller (Beau is very large) and still in my wheelhouse for dogs, and somehow somewhat personality-wise like tiny shelties from what I can tell--without the herding. But I have actually not known any papillons.

Can you say anything about Pap personality?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  7. ttexan

ttexan Premium Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    Minature Aussie (American Shepard) - same size as Sheltie but heavier. Ours play well together. Of course, a second Sheltie would be great.

Pam likes this.
  8. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Oh I agree a second sheltie would be great. I've only ever owned shelties and GSDs (although my mom had a Shih Tzu just before I left home). My husband is a bit initimated by the pushiness, power and zest for running (especially after bunnies) that is Beau--and Beau is a very big boy. A secret: he is kind of "my" dog. Hubbie needs his own. LOL

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Our Loki is quite the little bundle of energy. We got him at about two. He wasn't housebroken, so we took him back to rate training, and he learned just fine. They're barky and very loving! Loki is adventurous and roams our woods after the deer. He is also very protective -- Lord help anyone who would ever dare threaten my DS, to whom he belongs. We also once saw him run ff a fox bigger than he is!!

10. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    I have a spitz(so lets say bigger pom) he likes to chase cars by the fence and if I would not say no he would chase wild animals and runners on our walks. I have a sheltie girl of under 13in size and even if she sees him running and chasing the cars she never did it. I walked her separate when she was young in places where there are cyclist ecc but she never showed any interest. So I think you could get another sheltie and it won't behave like Beau.
    I like Papillons too maybe some day I will have one.

Hanne likes this.