Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Won't pee in the grass, prefers the patio

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by july4sheltie, Jun 21, 2013.

1. july4sheltie

july4sheltie Forums Novice

Jun 21, 2013
    Dayton, Ohio
    Last July 4 we rescued/and took into our home a scared and frightened Blue Merle Sheltie. Sophie is about 2 ½ years old and I must admit our poor little pooch has a few issues. When let out to pee, Sophie will walk and urinate all across the back patio and almost refuses to go in the grass. When I walk to the grass and put my hand straight out and tell Sophie to pee…she barks and then follows me to the back door…peeing as she walks (she never seems to really empty her bladder). Sophie rarely, if ever squats to pee when let outside or even when taken for walks. I have walked Sophie on many walks only to have her come into the house and pee a 4 foot long stream when I was in another room. Sophie’s behavior of peeing on the cement patio is consistent. It becomes a constant battle trying to get her to go to the bathroom in the grass so I have almost given up and just hose the back patio on a daily basis. If I happen to let Sophie out to go to the bathroom and I don’t follow her outside she will pee across the patio or pee on an outdoor carpet. We may also find where Sophie decides to pee and poop on the patio. It’s been a 'wee' bit of a challenge.

I believe Sophie was an outside dog (based upon the condition we found her in) and I wonder if she was confined to a cement run.

I am totally open to any ideas or suggestions you may have -- please help me, help Sophie. :confused2:

2. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Out male blue merle would always walk and pee leaving a long squiggly trail. I'm not sure what prompts that behavior, but we didn't think much of it.

As for peeing on the patio ... I'd get a scrap piece of carpet and place it on the patio over the areas she pees. If she pees on it, then gradually move the carpet to the grass, and once it's on the grass, slowly cut it down until it's gone. It might take a while, but she should get the idea.

3. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Tinsel didn't like the grass at all either and still tries to avoid it when the dew in on the grass or if it has rained. He's better if the grass is short but it's also because the uneven surface is harder for him to navigate with his joint problems.
    I like the idea of putting something down to try and catch the scent but I would be worried about using carpet. God forbid she decided to use carpeting in the house after doing it outside!
    Maybe just a piece of landscape fabric held down by some rocks would be a better choice.
    You might also want to have her hips and elbows checked. She might need to be on something for some discomfort which she could be experiencing. It might explain why she never squats to do her business.

4. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Just a thought. The person before you may have had Sophie in the basement, or a garage area? Maybe that is all that she knows is to potty on concrete.

Possibly this may work. Place newspapers on the patio and let Sophie pee or poop on them. Pick up the papers and carry them into the grass. Leave the papers there until she goes potty again. Then watch her and repeat the process as necessary. Oh my it doesn't happen over-night but it might work.

For the carpet you can use pee pads.

I broke a dog like that already. Took a pee and I carried the pee pads to the grass, finally got the idea, it takes a bit of time though.

Good Luck!

5. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Welcome to the forum july4sheltie, from another Ohio resident. You have come to the right place for information redarding Shelties. The forum members really "know their stuff" when it comes to the breed. I hope you can get the problem that Sophie is having solved.

6. VallejoSheltie

VallejoSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011
    Boots will occasionally do the walking pee. Once it was a good 10'+.

I agree, she may have been raised in a basement or enclosed porch/garage.

Boots sometimes doesn't like to pee in the grass if it is too high, but once I mow the lawn he's loving it.

I would just avoid taking her out onto the patio, and use a different door that leads to a grassy area. Or if that doesn't work, pick her up and walk her to the grass. Use a leash, so she has to stay on the grass.

If that doesn't work, maybe try to crate her for a few days, and take her out only to pee, and once she does that, a little playtime before its back in the crate. If she pee's during play time, immediately place her in the crate.
    I think she is still young enough to break this habit.

7. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    My Laddie will not pee on a walk, that little shaver holds it until we get home, then, he goes and goes. He just will not go anywhere but his yard, I don't know how he will act when out of town. My first Laddie was the same, he would only go in his favorite spot, but if he could not get there and really had to go, then he would.

Maybe, like the rest said, your Sheltie is used to cement and feels "strange" on grass.

8. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    my dog refuses to pee at all if the grass is wet (due or rain) and does the walking pee as well. Not always, but about half the time. Needless to say, I agree with everyone else. I would def try the carpet idea or newspaper idea though.

9. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    we used to have a sheltie like this too.. he'd only pee on HIS concrete (my dog run is all concrete slabs) We used to have to bring him a slab of concrete with us on trips. Yep... he was spoiled. Eventually, they will HAVE to go regardless of the location, so I wouldn't worry too much. He might put up a "fight" and make you work for it, but he will go.

10. Han&Bon

Han&Bon Forums Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    With the not peeing on walk Bonnie was the same until about 9-10 months and it really worried me. She would only go in her backyard, I took her on a half day trip once and spent plenty of time outside and as soon as we were in the car driving home she went all over her bed!!
    In the end I took her to stay at my grandparents overnight and played outside and left her outside as much as possible so that she had to go somewhere new. Since then she's been pretty good, started to pee in dog parks (always fun to be the crazy dog lady for praising your dog for peeing!) and then progressed to on her walks. On a long trip I sought out a dog park to stop at and she happily went there, the smells and stuff I suppose help! Since getting her I read its good to take young puppies out for toilet training not just to their backyard but outside areas as well so they know its okay to go other places.