Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Would like to adopt female spayed sheltie

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by Selena Wohlslagel, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Selena Wohlslagel

Selena Wohlslagel Forums Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2021
    I live in SW Florida and have a male neutered Sheltie. Luke would love a princess about his age 3 . I think shelties need to be with other Sheltie. Would make Luke a happy boy to have a playmate who spoke his language and loved to play and run and go for walks. Luke is very sweet, gentle and a barker of course lol

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am sure Luke would love a companion! There are several great Sheltie Rescues in Florida.
    Just click the Rescue tab at the top of the Sheltie Nation Home Page.
    FL – Mid Florida Sheltie Rescue
    FL – Jacksonville Sheltie Rescue

Good luck and keep us posted!

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    There are many sSHeltie breeders in the area who may be looking to place a retired girl, too.

4. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    They never replied back

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Who didn't? The rescues? Or some breeders? I would try again, the rescues are run by volunteers and often have jobs and family obligations so it might have slipped through the cracks. I had a quick look at Mid-Florida - that lady is super nice, we donated to her organization when she really was over-run by Shelties a few years ago. Looks like only one female available on their list at present but that probably changes often.

6. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    The mid florida rescue didn't and right now I can't afford a breeder price
    I can afford health care,vaccin es, food etc for a rescue sheltie.she would get the same great care Luke does

Piper's mom, KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Maybe she didn't like our ages and the pet park being their yard.but it's completely fenced in and now that we are fully vaccinated
    Luke and his Princess will be going at least 4 times a day. Luke is trained to use piddle pads. Princess would be too

Piper's mom, KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Well, it's really hard to say why, but ever since the pandemic hit, everyone and their brother wanted a dog. It was crazy to watch the shelter where I volunteer get literally cleaned out of dogs and cats, and so far they haven't come back. I'm sure rescues were able to re-home a lot of dogs also. Breeders were inundated with calls as well. You might wait a bit, then research Florida breeders from the American Shetland Sheepdog Assn website, contact them and see if anyone has a female adult available. No idea what prices might be but less than puppies.

9. Selena Wohlslagel

Feb 10, 2021
    Thanks I understand. But one sheltie needs another smile

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    There are some Shetland Sheepdog clubs in Florida - they might be able to help. Try googling for that and see if you can get in touch with someone. You never know.