Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Yeast Problem?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Kelsey, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Kelsey

Kelsey Forums Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Syracuse
    At the end of July, my sheltie, Henry, got skunked. We bathed him several times with Nature's Miracle for skunk smell and since we had to bathe him so much, he's been very itchy, flaky, and patchy all over his body. At first I thought he was having allergy issues, but I read that yeast can become a problem especially with over-bathing (and the symptoms of yeast overgrowth that I read about were consistent with what was going on with him). I have done a lot to try to get rid of the problem including anti-fungal sprays and shampoos, fish oil, etc. I haven't taken him to the vet yet because I read that vets typically give similar shampoos for such problems. I'm starting to worry, as he still has these giant flakes and now I can see through his coat to his skin, and his coat was so thick and beautiful! :( Has anyone dealt with something similar? Any thoughts on what to do/give him? I want him to get relief and I don't want him to lose his coat! I also wonder if the hair loss has to do with him shedding/blowing coat/the time of year. Advice appreciated on how to get rid of the problem and how to help the hair grow back. Thanks!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    The vet will give you prescription shampoos and probably skin topic remedies, but at the point Henry is at now, I would schedule a vet visit. It doesn't sound like you're seeing improvement and if he's scratching, he's uncomfortable and needs a professional diagnosis. He may need an antibiotic if something bacterial is going on like staph.

3. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    Definitely sounds like he might need a medicated shampoo. We had to use one on my parent's dog for inflamed and itchy skin. Despite us trying special shampoos from the pet store, the medicated one that the vet gave us was the only thing that ended up working for him.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Just as aside, when you go to the vet, have them test his thyroid as well. Thyroid issues are unfortunately very common in our breed and sometimes manifest as scaly, dry skin and hair loss.