Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Yellow fur growing on white paws

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Sunflower77, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 6, 2019
    My sheltie has four white paws. Recently, some yellow spots (yellow fur) started to pop up on her paws. Is this color change normal? She’s six months old. I groom her regularly so I’m very sure that these yellow spots are new. She had her first paw trimming done one month ago. Not sure whether shaving could have caused this color change. I know that Ragdoll cats can change the white/light grey fur on their back to a much darker grey or even black after being shaved. That’s why i’m wondering whether shaving/trimming a sheltie’s white paws will have the same effect of discoloration.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    What color is your Sheltie? I've never heard of yellow fur on paws, but depending on genetics it could be possible. Our line gets brown freckles on their muzzles, which is a hallmark of our dogs and, we think, adorable. Sometimes brown freckles will pop up elsewhere in other places too. I've never heard of yellow though. I would ask your breeder. Maybe take a picture and send it on to her. She'd be the best person to answer that.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Sunflower77

Feb 6, 2019
    Thank you. My dog is a maghagony sable. I guess the yellow fur I was referring to can be interpreted as tan colored speckles too.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin does have a few freckles on his legs...And at that age coloring can change. usually dogs get darker as they age.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Do you mean marks like this? Tully has always had those marks, I guess freckles are a good word for them. Makes her feet look dirty though next to her lovely white ruff.

Tully at Cook shops cropped.jpg

No shaving won't help, it's likely skin pigment. Tully's had legs shaved for surgery or when on a drip and the spots are always there.

Sandy in CT, Sharon7, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  6. Sunflower77

Feb 6, 2019
    Thank you. Tully looked so cute in that photo!

Yeah, the spots are similar but less obvious on my dog. I wasn’t thinking that shaving would help. On the contrary, I was thinking whether shaving made them worse because those freckles came out one month after I had her paws shaved. Maybe the timing was just a coincidence.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    That's interesting, because I must admit that Tully's are more pronounced nowadays and like I said she has been shaved for medical reasons. But I think the freckles are showing up more as she gets older. I must keep an eye on them when her winter coat grows in and see if the extra undercoat hides the freckles more.

I just noticed your puppy's age. At 6mths she's dropped puppy coat and growing her adult coat so that may be why it's more noticeable.

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    The spots you refer to is called ticking and very common, in fact all Shelties have them. They don't start to appear until the dog is several months old and will generally appear on the paws although sometimes on the snout as well if the dog has white there as well.

SRW, RikyR and Caro like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I just LOVE that picture of Tully!

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Caro like this.
  10. Sunflower77

Feb 6, 2019
    Thank you. I feel better because it doesn’t seem they were caused by my decision to have her paws shaved. LOL.

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.