Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

You can't keep a good pup down

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jun 12, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    As I haven't yet replaced the extendible lead that is half torn through, we've been walking with a six-foot lead. With the long lead, Willow could run and leap through the tall grass that lines part of the path. She is a very exuberant young lass and loves to play.

Even so, I thought that was finished for now until I replaced the long lead but Willow proved me wrong. She can leap three times into the grass, pivot and take three leaps out again. That was quite enough to delight her so she kept it up for that whole section of our walk, only pausing to have the occasional go at my shoelaces. I guess Cyndi Lauper was right, girls just wanna have fun.

Speaking of fun, Willow entertained a young girl heading to the playground with her grandparents. Willow sat, danced, downed, gave five and rolled over much to the delight of the little one.

Sharon7, Tabitha, Margi and 4 others like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    That Willow has quite a career ahead of her, I can tell!

3. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Thanks a bunch, Glenn. Now I got that song stuck in my head. :singing:

Sharon7, Calliesmom, GlennR and 2 others like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Here's a song for those of us with boys Margi...perhaps this one will stick instead lol
    Let's hear it for the boys

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    It's been a long time since I heard that song! Begone Lauper! LOL

Calliesmom and GlennR like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    She's such a quick learner, besides basic obedience (and it sounds like you've mostly trained her yourself already) you might consider Nosework or Rally classes. I'm sure she'd do agility too but you'd have to be up for running around yourself!

She just sounds so delightful.

Ann, Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    We enjoy our training sessions. Once upon a long time ago I used to show dogs and compete in conformation and obedience. I got tired of it, but never tired of training my dogs. Willow will, I'm sure, end up with a large repertoire of learned commands. as long as she enjoys learning, we'll just keep on doing it. When she's a bit older I'll start doing tracking and other nose work. The great thing about teaching tracking is the reversal of roles where your dog takes the lead and you trust in them to lead you right. I loved how that altered the usual dynamic that makes for a deeper relationship. I find it somewhat more challenging to teach a small dog like a Sheltie as all my guys have been large. I've tripped over Willow more than once. :)

Sharon7, Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    This is exactly how our Nosework instructor explained it to us in the beginning, a year ago. That the dogs are doing a natural behavior and we're just along for the ride, but that it does deepen your bond. Everyone I know who has tried it has really enjoyed it even if they don't plan on competing.

Calliesmom likes this.
  9. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Flyball