Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

You know that you've gone stir crazy...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jan 21, 2021.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Every day seems much like every other and they blend together. The sky has been overcast for weeks with only a hint of sun every once in a while. No visiting of friends or family, no dining out, no movie-going. Today I think I slipped over the edge from eccentric Sheltie owner to stir crazy dog owner.

My wife and I were having a discussion this morning about how often Willow marks on her walks. So, I counted on her morning walk and I can report that she marked 17 times in four miles of walking. :ROFLMAO: I'm not sure which is nuttier, me counting the times she marked or me telling about it here.

DianeP, Chris, RikyR and 7 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    not nutty at all. I counted how many times I threw the ball for Finnie (32) until I thought what the H am I doing :lol::lol::lol:!
    This pandemic is getting to all of us! Everything has been shut down here for 2 months...could buy scotch tape but not packing tape, Christmas cards but not greeting cards and list goes on. That alone was enough to make you batty! I’ve been working still (healthcare) but even though the majority of things will be opening up on Saturday (25% occupancy) I’m in no hurry to get out there. I’m just happy I can take the puppy into pet stores to buy a toy and go to our local hardware store with her!

DianeP, Calliesmom, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Given your weather constraints as well, I don't wonder that you are reduced to entertaining yourself by counting pee spots! :ROFLMAO: I power walk M, W, F in lieu of going to the gym (which I've done since 1985)! I find myself starting to count my steps as I'm going- then I freak out thinking I'm slipping into OCD! It's hard to have novel thoughts when you don't have the stimulation! Sometimes I start building my "dream home" in my mind while I'm huffing and puffing away....

At the gym I could at least watch TV or read a magazine while I was on the stair climber or elliptical. I miss the gym the most of anything, it's a great stress reliever.

DianeP, Piper's mom, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    We are in the same boat, Glenn. It’s been grey weather here as well, plus cold and windy to the point you don’t want to linger outside. We’ve been in since last March...no dog shows, classes, family visits, friends, etc. I can ID by color, texture and content which poop belongs to which dog in the dog yard. I have counted bird species at the feeders until they got so tired of me the chickadees now yell when I step outside. The holidays provided some distraction with cards and gift finding but now there’s just ... winter. I know this will eventually end which gives me hope but boy, it’s getting old. So count away, and report at will!

DianeP, Sharon7, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Love it!
    It has been the same here, grey and bitterly cold wind chills!
    When I was walking the boys they NEVER pee on walks! Not one time. I have seen many male dogs marking and Beau and Baron will sniff but never mark. So strange. Maybe they think it is only allowable to relieve themselves at home? When I do get back home I let them outside and sometimes they will go potty.

DianeP, Sharon7, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I was in JoAnn's fabrics yesterday and they have a sign they are dog friendly - do you have them in CA? I might take Deacon there. I know Home Depot and Lowes are as well. I don't do 'boots on the ground' but carry a blanket - when young they are harnessed into the child seat area, when older they are harnessed into the cart. I carry treats and anyone who appears nice can treat with permission.

I'm sorry, but thank you for the laugh. This got a real 'LOL' from me! That's quite a feat with your crew!

You have to take the positives with the negatives right? You have insanely BEAUTIFUL places to walk Willow. Willow would be on par with Kooper - with his kidney issues he pees like every feet on walks except when we take him to the golf course. For some odd reason, we can do a 4 mile walk there and he only marks minimally, for Kooper. Brodie is my camel dog - he has a 15 hour top time limit for holding his bladder - Yes! I do take him out - but he only 'goes' when HE wants to! He, for the first time ever, went pee after almost 2 years of classes at our training center - most dogs pee out of their car, NOT Brodie - he would hold it - like it was beneath him. But right before Christmas, he peed with his girlfriends before class. He's so funny!

Personal info, I always thought my husband and I would kill each other when he retired. He has traveled much of our almost 25 years of marriage (May). I've done all the kid stuff and house stuff and lawn stuff and I'm VERY independent - I do my own car detailing (for all cars in the house) and do my own minor car repairs (it's my dad's fault). I've even had to sit in the little kid chair in front of that mean old teacher my kid had when in a teacher conference - ALONE! (yes! She literally made me squish my rear end into a little plastic kiddy chair - I have uttered a 5 letter word over this woman MANY times during my kids school years since they all had her at one time or another). My husband was gone so much no one ever recognized him at school functions even though all 3 of our kids went to preschool to grade 8 in a school of less than 125 kids. He's traveled to China and Brazil and Puerto Rico and Mexico and egads of times to Germany, Italy, Switzerland, etc. He is used to fine wines and fancy hotels. I like diner food and getting my hands dirty. We've been here since March - it's been really good for us! It's definitely a positive within all the negatives. I've shared my dog training classes with him, we walked MILES, we did a virtual Alzheimer's walk for my mom, we built a chicken coop, and he bought me 2 coop cameras which are FAR more entertaining than any TV these last many number of months! He's dealt with my very many home projects which I typically do while he travels (shhhh. don't tell him but I am trying to find a 'good' time to demolish part of a wall - it's only like 16" of it.... ) We just survived 7 weeks with our youngest and almost 6 weeks with our dramatic middle child and have had a BLAST this week with them gone (after spending days cleaning ... omg,)! And now we have Deacon to play with.... so lots of bright spots here. I feel like it's part of my mom in me - she ALWAYS found the good in things... :)

Piper's mom, DianeP, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I am so happy during winter! I get to sleep till I want to wake up (as opposed to hauling my butt out of bed at 4:30 am to walk dogs), enjoy my coffee and then walk in cool 40-50 degrees. Evening walk is delightful too, didn't need a jacket tonight. The boys love staying outside. When you guys are enjoying summer, I'm locked in like a Midwesterner in a blizzard LOL

Piper's mom, DianeP, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    usually down here, we all complain about not having an indoor training facility- but we've continued to train outside all along. finally a perk...
    while all trials were cancelled in the early part of the year, in October, trials resumed and we've managed to get to some of them. I probably would have gone stir crazy if I hadn't been training all year with a friend.......

Piper's mom, DianeP, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Piper's mom, DianeP and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh Lordy, Ann, me, too! In fact, I get a perverse sense of satisfactionout of the "poop hunt" in the dog yard. "Oh boy! There's another one. And it's Layla's!"