Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

You've all been doing recall wrong

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Darren, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Monty loves a little freedom so I've been taking him to a big empty field to run around on. The one thing he is not great at is recall......Until the new Mr Broccoli recall squeaker, now available in all good stores. Just a couple squeaks and that unruly dog is back under control :ROFLMAO:
    It's had me laughing, I've tried recall for about 7 months with no luck then just a couple weeks ago I tried Mr B. It works everytime....I just look like a crazy person waving a stuffed Broccoli around.

It's a slow recall on this video as he was exhausted from chasing Pigeons for 10 minutes :lol:

jomuir, Hanne, Chris and 8 others like this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Well it worked for my dogs - now have 3 shelties at my feet staring up at me wondering what the squeak is!:razz:

Actually I always tell my class to take a squeaky toy on walks.

Hanne, Darren, Calliesmom and 4 others like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ha, ha....
    What a concept!

Liam was laying down and the minute he heard the squeaker he got up to look at where the sound was coming from!

Lisa recommended having treats handy during recalls! All my boys come running when they hear their name!

Good boy Monty!

Hanne, Darren, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Good old Monty - doesn't want to seem too excited to see you, so he made sure he did that 'I'm not really interested but yes, I am dragging myself over to you so you feel good about your training abilities' recall....

J/K!!!! That is an AWESOME recall to have him come to you from so far away - so import to have a solid one. Love the squeaky toy idea - will use it!

Darren, Calliesmom, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Worked with mine too...8 am here and both dogs were fast asleep and now they're staring at me wondering where's the toy:ROFLMAO:!

Hanne, Darren, Caro and 2 others like this.
  6. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, count Willow in too. She came over to see what was squeaking.

Hanne, Darren, Caro and 4 others like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    all mine too:yes:

threatening the hostage always works- the hero will come to save the day or the Mr B:winkgrin:

Hanne, Piper's mom, Darren and 3 others like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I have done this in the house and it works for sure. The nice thing about Mr. B is he's light and very portable! Good recall Monty, if a bit slow! :lol:

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Mine just did what they do best...barkbarkBARKbark!

I'm surprised Monty will chase the pigeons without his beloved Mr B! He actually leaves him in your custody, Darren? Mine would carry the toy with them as far away as possible and then drop it so I had to hike and get it. :rolleyes2: It's great that the squeak recall works for him!

10. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    LOL I'm glad I managed to get all the dogs attention, it looks like their already better at Mr B recall than Monty :lol:

You know what Sandy, your are right :lol:. He is the most disobedient little dog I've ever known. He's done the slow recall a few times, I've just put it down to being tired but really he's probably just dragging himself over because of Mr B being held hostage :lol:. He's probably wishing he could bite me on his walk over haha.
    Before the Mr B recall he would never run away but when I'm shouting or trying to get him to come for treats he would just stop and look at me, making me walk all the way over to him :lol:.

It's taken a while but I have him trained to drop Mr B when we reach a certain point on our walks. Short walks he carries him all the way but the long ones I've now got it so he drops him for me to carry. We had a few small issues a few months ago, one where a large dog came out of nowhere and grabbed Mr B out of Monty's mouth. I had Monty crying and running around in a panic and dog running away with Mr B. Lucky I managed to calm Monty and catch the other dog. We also had random children running up thinking he looked cute but then snatch Mr B from him trying to get him to play. It was getting to the stage where Monty was getting nervous when kids were near and trying to hide as he was expecting them to steal Mr B. I just thought it would be safer if he lets me carry him when we are away from our 'safe zone' of a few blocks. He lets me as long as I keep showing him that Mr Broccoli is still on the walk and safe :ROFLMAO:

Hanne, Piper's mom, GlennR and 5 others like this.