Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Zesty Paws Calming Bites

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Pam, May 15, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Anyone use Zesty Paws Calming Bites? My neighbor who has a mini schnauzer swears by them for thunderstorms. I had Rescue Remedy for Beau for July fireworks but it didn't do much. We have had terrible thunderstorms with trees coming down around us, and the thunder really bothered him. Plus July is coming and we live very very close to the fireworks (and not just our town but 3 towns around--so we have them for days).

Only want to use very very occasionally.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Never used them before. My Laddie was terrified of thunderstorms.
    We used Thundershirt wig great results. Have you tried one?

http://www.thundershirt.com/

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I think I've tried every calming thing at one time or another for my dogs. Somehow I missed Zesty Paws. But the two I swear by are Zen Pets powder from www.mercola.com, given in food once a day, and Calm Capsules by Natures Farmacy. I like the Zen because it's only given once a day so I can give it in the food on a day that thunderstorms are predicted to my thunder phobic dogs and I don't have to rush to get something in before a storm arrives. The capsules are stronger IMO than the Zen powder but both work very well!

4. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    There is a medication on the market called Sileo that we use. Spirit is frantic during thunderstorms. A thundershirt looked very cute on her and did absolutely nothing. Crating her made it worse (keep in mind she loves her crate, has been crate trained since she was 8 weeks old, and regards her crate as a safe place. I often find her napping in there with the door wide open). I don't want to sedate her, as that can actually make dogs more frantic. Sileo is not a sedative, and it has made a huge difference for us. Spirit is still upset about thunderstorms but she's not completely losing her mind, and now we can actually work on some behaviors for her instead of running around like a wild woman screaming and howling about the thunder.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Cara, is this over the counter or do you need a prescription from your vet?

6. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    It's a prescription, unfortunately. But it has literally changed Spirit's life.

Ann likes this.
  7. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    It's a gel that is applied to their gums so it is absorbed quickly and works within about 10 minutes.

Ann likes this.