Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Little Red Caboose Has Pulled Into The Station!

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Photo Updates' started by Mom2Melli, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I'm fine with big boy - good thing. I have a very very steep staircase and a baby gate the cats crawl under to access their area. At this size, our house is not doable for him. Shay is 22", Melli is 16 1/2. I would like about 18. 18 is good.

2. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Cooper is 17". I loooooove a big sheltie :)

3. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Trace was just a tad over 18", was perfect for me. I'll have to adjust to the new perfect with Baker...hoping for 13", but no idea at this point.

I just now noticed that Cubby & Baker have matching socks - too cute.

4. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I would be happy with a little one if I didn't have this beast of a house!

It would indeed be a switch to go from a big one to a little one so suddenly, but cute is an understatement for describing Baker. Your comment about potty training a hamster is just laughs. You don't need a crate! You can use a guinea pig cage. An x-pen could just be a laundry basket! A blanky can be a washcloth! I'm kidding, but Baker is just so ridiculously adorable. When you aren't doing commercials, you will be fending off flyball teams wanting him for height dog! All so very very fun!

I skipped adorable and went straight for ginormous, rangy, and outgrowing everything FAST! We outgrew the small Puppia harness, I had it on him for 5 minutes one time. We outgrew the small Keep Safe breakway collar in 3 weeks. We are close to outgrowing our soft-sided crate having used it only 3 times. Crazy, just crazy.

5. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    You don't need to be kidding about his size - a laundry basket would work for sure! I have a wire crate with a divider, but even when I have the width just enough for him to be comfortable, there is enough length for about 3 more of him! (we are picking up a smaller crate Saturday, that will be a little more reasonable for him)

I don't think you skipped adorable at all! Cubby has the most endearing facial expressions in your photos. And he seems a bit ahead of Baker in training commands. So far we have sit, chill (down) & "boing" (jump up just because it's cute). We are working on stand. I have also been playing with the toes in anticipation of nail trims. I did notice he has one black nail...on a white foot!!! Is that normal?

Sometimes I wonder what in the world were we thinking, getting a puppy at our age, but then I come home from work to those wonderful puppy kisses and any doubts fly out the window.

What are you planning for Cubby? Agility, Obedience, Flyball? I don't think Flyball is very popular around here but from what I see it looks like fun for the dogs.

6. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Yes, we have a couple black nails too! Shudder! I have nipped Cubby's once and need to do it again.

Cubby is cute. Baker is adorable!

This puppy thing is driving me nuts. Potty training is one. Zoomies is two. And being under relative lockdown waiting for shots complete is three. Husband can't handle #1 or #2. That locks me down. While I can orchestrate some careful outtings (like to my Mom's) I have a lot more that I am eager to get to.

As to Cubber's plans. Well. We plan on training for about a year. Puppy Kinder, basic, intermediate obedience (2 levels) is top priority, including CGC and hopefully at some point therapy certs. We are going to do intro to dog sports (a sampler of sports like agility, flyball, rally, and herding). Then we are going to do the 3 levels of agility and 3 levels of scent. After growing up I will see what he loves and we will go with it. Could be therapy or agility or flyball or scent or rally or freestyle or ? ? ? Nothing too physically stressful too young though. Mentally he is really eager and picks up things quick. Tomorrow is paws up I think. Of course these next few months involve lots of socialization and experiences shopping in pet friendly places, traveling, and meeting lots and lots of people. Oh, and we need to ride a couple trains! Sugar pine by Yosemite, Casa De Fruta, and Reedley Hillcrest.

This weekend we are going out again to grandma's and this time probably through Hobby Lobby. Then I think a week off since immunity will be low IF there is immunity from Mom killing the last shots. As soon as we get all our shots I hit the road! I have a beach trip, a couple charity dog walks, school, a mountain trip, possibly a trip out to the desert (Vegas), and finally a trip in Nov. down to San Diego. All that, though, is dependent on him NOT being a spaz! We shall see.

What are you planning with Baker? Judy -- what about little Miss X? Laurel & cousin Jade? Anyone? What plans are your your pups heading for?

7. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Wow - Cubby is going to be one well traveled little guy!

With Baker I plan to do at least what I did with Trace: RE and CD, but I may do it a bit smarter & start with CGC and BN. I also think we might try Agility. I started training Toby in agility and he was awesome, but he was just too darn fast for me. He would fly over every obstacle then go on his own as I was running (panting) after him .

It's 10:36, time to take wee Baker out for a quick pee then bed for all of us.

Sleep well cousin Cubby!:hugs

8. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Little Miss X (my daughter insists in calling her Tilly). Not happening. Sorry, I digress. Anyways obedience to start and then maybe agility, or who knows she may just be a couch potato. I don't know much about her personality just yet so I don't kno if she is going to be a go, go, go girl or a laid back baby.

9. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Judy -- you and I need to get into the same sport (if any) and match up with Dawn. Then we can all hang out at CA events! Plans, plans, plans! You have to love the moment of anything being possible.

Cubbers is 11 weeks today -- I have had him for 4 weeks.

Suddenly, he is in that all-head stage.

10. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I love my 18 1/2 boy :smile2: My mom's sheltie pup that is a few months older than Ruutu stands at 13 1/2. I couldn't handle that small. Big is better in my book. We're hoping for another big boy :fl when the time is right. That being said, Ruutu climbed over our gate we had in the kitchen at 8 weeks old... yep, the first night home. He also jumps over my parent's 32" gate.... I'm thinking of buying a 48" xpen for him, but gosh, if he jumps that.... :no: