Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Neutered - How long to wear cone?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Rileys mom, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    Riley was neutered yesterday. Everything went really well. He tries lick the surgery site, so I have been keeping the cone on unless I am right with him.

How long does he need to wear the cone?

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    When I had my little Pom neutered he wore the cone for 5 days. Somehow he managed to lick with it on and pull the stitches out, but by then he was healed enough it did not matter.

Hanna was spayed on Wednesday and only wore the cone for the car ride home.
    First day she mostly slept - tried to lick a couple of times and I told her "no" quite firmly and she stopped. Yesterday she was back to her old self - throwing toys at me and has shown no interest in her incision at all. It looks really good, nicely closed and no redness at all. I did give her the pain meds both days but she likely did not need them yesterday. Can't believe how well she did she really is back to her old self and not getting why I will not play tug or throw toys for her to fetch.

The answer is it depends on when he will leave it alone and how theincision looks.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    When Melli cut her foot and I had to stop her licking, I had her wear her rain slicker instead of a cone. She couldn't reach the paw and it was more pleasant than a cone.

4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Hollie never bothered her incision so I didn't put it on her.

Shelby was a nut and it know she would have chewed her stitches out so she wore the cone for about a week or so.

When Hollie was in a cast the vet gave us a soft collar for her to wear (for 4 weeks!). It was just like the cone but soft and flexible. Hollie never bothered with her cast so I didn't put it on her.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014