Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training 'Olympia style'

Discussion in 'Agility' started by labgirl, Oct 2, 2015.

1. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    On Wednesday I had a course running workshop. The idea was you got three courses to run (2 agility, 1 jumping) and 1.50 to run them. You could choose to do bits, say work on your contacts, or do the whole thing.

The courses were like those you find at Olympia, the second most prestigious UK agility event after Crufts. This meant the courses were twice the length of a normal course - same number of obstacles but LOADS of space and distance in-between.

I decided to run both dogs to practice how it would be at competition. Merlin did really well, he loved the space and flew about the course, we even managed a RC at the weaves - not perfect, but it is only the second time in training he has done them. I was so pleased with his jumping run, it was the last of the night and it was so smooth.

Merlin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuFoIMn1fDg

Sparrow found this tougher. To be honest, these courses were too hard for her and she found it difficult to judge the extra long distances between jumps. Her pacing was off and she actually clipped a pole and took herself out. My handling was shoddy too. I am currently full of a cold and I was really struggling to get Sparrow round these huge courses. She takes extra handling to Merlin and I kept losing my breath:lol:

Anyway, lots of things to take away and work on, and there are lots of bits I am pleased with.

Oh and watch out for the conversation on Sheltie barks in the background! There were three shelties running (including Merlin) and one sheltie x collie.

Sparrow
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdP10oAHdKI

2. JoonieB

JoonieB Forums Regular

Feb 10, 2014
    MA
    Fantastic!! I decided to enter my 17 month old in his first match. We learned a lot together and now I have a game plan of things to work on before we start competing. Your guy looked great. That's a lot of mileage to cover in that course. Too bad I don't have speakers on this computer. Interested to hear the barking convo. LOL

3. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    She did good, considering the distance and difficulty. I am going to enter her in a couple of steeplchases next week for a bit of experience. She is still a baby with lots to learn. But you are right, it is all about learning our strengths and weaknesses and then building on from them.

And yes it was a lot of running!

4. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    I watched your videos a couple of days ago at work - (sound off so didn't hear the shelties conversing!)

These extra long distances are difficult to handle and it's nice you got to do them in training. I've been to Olympia (to watch LOL!) and one minute you are watching horses competing, the next moment the dogs are in the same space. It's a little tight for horses but vast for dogs and on dirt too. Many dogs struggle as they are looking for the next obstacle but it's not at the distance they are expecting.

Merlin did so well - the second agility course on jump #2 where you did the FC to the push behind followed by FC was beautifully handled and the Jumping course was super. He's come on so well, you must be exceptionally proud of both of you :yes: (sorry that's terrible grammar :eek: ).

Poor little Sparrow coming down on a jump like that, but at least she didn't seem much bothered, she's such a keen little soul! Although it was a bit beyond her current capabilities she certainly gave it her all and looked like she was having so much fun - judging by the ever wagging tail! She loves her contacts doesn't she? :lol:Epic and Jacob both went through the phrase of "see a contact get on the contact!" (In fact Jacob still does that!) As you say, plenty of positives from the evening from both of them and what a great experience.

It's rotten running with a cold, hope you are feeling better now :hugs
    :fl for Sparrow's debut - can't wait to hear how she gets on.

5. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Thank you, I was rather pleased with that section. I am very pleased with Merlin, he ran with such confidence, and Sparrow definitely gave it her all. Poor girl taking out that jump! Gosh, she gives me some moments! You know, Merlin has never clipped a jump in his life:eek2:

And yes, she loves her contacts, lol!

I hate running with a cold, in fact I am still poorly. The virus has gone into my sinuses and now I have a blocked left ear. I am completely deaf on one side, which is a real nuisance! Hopefully I am at the tail-end of it though, and by next week I will feel on form. Need to be because I have 7 runs planned between the two dogs!

6. Lanie

Lanie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2013
    California
    They both look great. Sparrow is going to be a great agility dog. Glad she wasn't injured when she took that tumble. She really didn't seem be fazed by it at all.

Have you tried a Neti Pot for your sinuses? Works miracles for me. Also, Oil of Oregano capsules are really helpful. They're anti-viral as well as antibacterial. I've squashed a cold in 3 days with them.

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Thanks Lanie. Sparrow bounces well:lol:

I am currently using a nasal spray and Tea Tree oil in hot water as an inhalant. I'll make a note of your suggestions too, thanks.

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Sophie, I'm just getting around to watching this. I found it very interesting because I felt like these courses are a closer representation to what we often see here in the states!

Merlin looked really good and did for sure seem to enjoy all the space to run!

Sparrow had some lovely moments! I found it interesting to see that she struggled with the jump spacing. Enzo went through a period like this a few months ago and I was worried that he had a jumping issue or that we needed to go back to jumping basics. It turned out he was just learning how to judge spacing and when to add a stride. We did some work in the yard with different spacing between jumps at different speeds and it really seemed to help.

9. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    This is exactly what I think is the case with Sparrow. She has also only just gone from jumping micro height to small height and has not quite worked out her stride pattern. I think the extra space threw her, but that with time she will learn to adjust. It is interesting how Enzo and Sparrow seem to be mirroring each other in terms of how they are progressing and the problems that crop up. They even managed to face-plant off the a-frame around the same time!

I have also noticed your courses seem much more spread out than ours, I suspect that is a space issue over here, as most indoor venues have quite limited room. I prefer tighter courses (less running for me!), but then again, that is what I am used to. Apparently the ring space at Crufts for agility is tiny, smaller than most usual rings.

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008

So true! :winkgrin:

I wanted to mention something that my trainer said that made a lot of sense when I was worrying about Enzo's jumping. She said to run a sequence in practice and if he drops a bar because of misjudging it (taking off too soon or too late, which Enzo kept doing!) have him run the same exact sequence again. If he adjusts his stride, or seems to "learn" from having crashed it the first time, then it's not a jumping issue! It's just them learning to judge the spacing. I thought that was really interesting. Obviously you can't do that in a trial but it really made sense to me!