Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I am pleased to announce I will be adopting another Sheltie puppy!

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Sheltie.Mama, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    I have emailed a breeder about being put on a waiting list for a litter! I will probably be getting one in a year or two. Shelties are like chips.. You can never have just one!:wink2:

I accidentally clicked the wrong icon.. Oops!

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Male / female? Color?

3. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    I am hoping for a bi-blue, probably male but I'm just going to go see which one I fall on love with!:biggrin2:

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Yeah! I hope your wait doesn't seem too long.

I put my name in for a pup from my breeder not even a month ago knowing it may be 6 months to a year, or more to get what I want, and I'm already getting nervous and excited about it.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Ohh, you'll get early pick!!

6. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Maybe I am just hung up on semantics, but aren't you buying a puppy, rather than "adopting"?

There is nothing wrong with buying a puppy from a reputable breeder . . . but it isn't the same as adopting a rescue dog.

7. daisysparky

daisysparky Forums Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Ohio
    First of all, congrats! Shelties really are like potato chips, lol.:smile2:

As for the above post, IMO, you're still adopting a puppy/dog/whatever regardless of whether it's from a breeder or a shelter. You are giving that animal a forever home and because it's a dog and not a human there is absolutely no biological relationship to it either way. Plus, money is exchanged in both cases. It's even exchanged with human adoptions. If the word "rescue"had been used, I'd question it, but you are "adopting" a pet regardless of where it comes from.

8. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    In my state, dogs are considered property, and you don't "adopt" property, you buy/sell/own property. No different than a car, and the legal distinction is a good thing that protects everyone.

Anyway, semantics aside, yay puppy! :biggrin2:

9. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Woho! PUPPIES!:biggrin2: Congradulations! Can't wait to see pix.:pop

I saw your thread and was thinking, "Oh no, hope she's not about to make the same misstake I did and adopt a puppy before Shay is grown." Glad I was wrong! Potty training two very young puppies at slightly different stages of growth (one with bowel issues I might add) is not something I would wish to do again any time soon!:wink2:

10. Sheltie.Mama

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    I really don't want to do that to shay! I want to be able to bond with her as a puppy, and train her, and do many things with her in the wonderful stage of puppyhood which I wouldn't be able to do with two! I want to bond with her while she is still growing.. As I will want to with this other puppy!:biggrin2:

Not to mention most of the time you don't just get a litter ready to go at the moment you call.. Lol!