2x2 weave training

nellie123

Forums Enthusiast
Has anyone trained weaves with the 2x2 weave method? I'm training Nellie with it. We're having a few problems with it and hoping someone will know the answer.

We now have the weaves in this: • • format.

• •When she passes the weaves from the bottom side here, she cuts past the second set of poles. I'm not sure if we missed a step in training or if she is focusing on me or if i set the weaves up wrong. Help would be welcomed!!!
 
video would be helpful.
We did little of everything, but mostly we proofed weave entry with 2 poles. For us it was set up always in same direction, throw threat in the direction of weaves/ dog move and timely i.e. before dog turns head " are you going to throw that food or what?"
Then we proofed various angles of entries, you start at 3 pm, then move down slowly to 6 then go up to 10 etc.
 
2x2 was GREAT
after pretty much not getting it at first, lol

You do not add the second set until you got the first down pat?... could you have added second too fast?

By the way THANK YOU ANIA, I would have never been able to train it without your encouragement and sound advice!!! Toffee is way ahead of his class with this method and can weave a full set, although we mostly just do 6 right now. I am now working on getting him to speed up more, but that comes with more time and practice, but it was more important to get him THINKING through the poles for me.. so now it doesn't matter where I am; offside or ahead or behind.. he gets the entry.


I liked this video a lot, just wanted to share it as it talks about a dog learning the weaving in progress...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82gLdqN4To
 
I think that I will wait a little bit more until I get a total understanding of the 2x2 format (and when I build bigger weaves, they're now only like 20 inches:rolleyes2:) Thanks, and if anyone has any 2x2 tips, please post! :smile2:
 
The best thing about 2x2's is that you can always backchain it...
you can EASILY start again at the previous level if you went too fast.

NOT that I am an expert in any of it, I can just speak from my own experience. I SO remember the frustration in the beginning because I didn't get it, and I despaired a lot at first! However I am SO glad I kept going with it.

I think there is still a link in novice handler agility where it shows Toffee doing driveway agility and starting to be getting his weaves :)
 
Not to hijack this thread but I've always wondered with the 2x2 method, how does the dog learn the right entry? I've got Susan G's dvd and I haven't gone past the poles like * * with the dog driving through it in a straight line.

But I panic when then return to me after getting the reward by turning left instead of right (which I would have thought would be the correct side coz that's where the next pole would be.
 
you move the angle of the entry poles
it is about the placement of the reward...

Let me try and explain ... how I did it.. Disclaimer again hey, I am a noob :)

This is how my Instructor got us started on it and it worked for us! :biggrin2:

Picture the face of the clock... 12 is the direction you want the dog dog to go, draw an arrow and mark an X where u gonna throw the reward

At first you put the first 2 weaves at 9 and at 3 which is a straight position, then draw a mental (or chalk) line to where to throw the reward ahead of you and the dog, just past the weaves. There is no wrong entry at this point, just to get the dog used to the motion and drive towards that entry! (It's brilliant the more I think about it...)

Then next step you change YOUR position in relation to the dog yet continue to reward the dog only at the same reward point as before.

Once he masters this you can add a second set of weaves also at 9 and 3 o'clock position. You reward every time after the second set, but intermittently still reward after first set, so the value is IN the weaves not only the last one.

Then if he drives all the time for that SECOND set and knows his job can you SLOWLY start closing the first set of weaves and change their position to say at 8 and 2, then 7 and 1 then 6 and 12 which is closed poles. BUT still reward only AT the STRAIGHT line.. reward still falls ahead of you and the dog at the same spot, even if the position of the poles has changed.

This way you can keep adding a set, the dog starts to only get rewarded once you close the weaves if he does the left shoulder entry.. however it comes way more naturally I find with this method as it teaches complete independence, here you can see Toffee thinking about it. and get an idea..
I have here closed the first two sets and just added a third... am wayyyyy too late with the reward but u get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmWb8N3Cm_Y&feature=player_profilepage

You can almost see him think.. what the heck happened here, Mom? hahaha Thinking and it's a tough job for them... again I didn't place my reward properly which is why poor Toffee could not learn to do 12 weaves in 12 days ;) I kinda suck! But have fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4mBVqwFoKk&feature=player_profilepage
See how he is trying to fix it in the end with his LEFT shoulder? I don't babysit, I don't guide... I wait him out and chuckle, no reward then he does it again and he gets the reward.


Then I closed them and here is what we had after a maybe two weeks of small daily sessions?... I have to make a new video to show where he is now, he is doing 12 fine even with different types of weaves he had no problems. We are still working on it, but the main thing was a bit of training every day or every other day instead of long sessions... I never did more than 5 to 10 minutes TOPS. Their brain fries!! lol and then it is no fun for them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ap5w3GxAM&feature=player_profilepage



Hope this makes a little sense to some of you who asked....
 
Last edited:
Weaves

My girlfriend lent me the video of 2x2's and printed off I think the directions so I am pretty sure I know where it is so Nellie if you want them I can send them to you but you better get permission first from your family.Just a thought.
 
Back
Top