Advice on next steps

Joe Garufi

Forums Novice
We have a 12 year old Shellie male who has broken an ankle bone. Our surgeon has recommended ankle fusion surgery or an alternative of just wearing a permanent brace. To complicate matters, the break occurred during recovery from a surgery to repair a thigh muscle that had separated from the bone. Thoughts?
 
There are so many variables to this that it's hard to advise you. How is your boy's overall health? Can he withstand another serious surgery and rehab? What would his quality of life be with a brace? If the fusion surgery is a viable option, I'd take that. A brace will get old quickly, both for you and for him. But for me, the decision would depend on how active he is now. Is he an old 12 or a young 12?

I have two 12-y.o. littermates that are at opposite ends of that spectrum. One is 12 going on 7, even though she's had multiple surgeries and cancer. Her littermate is an old 12, who had Lyme disease early in life, doesn't hear well now and really just likes to sleep. I would view their surgical options very differently for that reason.

I hope you find the right path for your pup and that he heals well!
 
There are so many variables to this that it's hard to advise you. How is your boy's overall health? Can he withstand another serious surgery and rehab? What would his quality of life be with a brace? If the fusion surgery is a viable option, I'd take that. A brace will get old quickly, both for you and for him. But for me, the decision would depend on how active he is now. Is he an old 12 or a young 12?

I have two 12-y.o. littermates that are at opposite ends of that spectrum. One is 12 going on 7, even though she's had multiple surgeries and cancer. Her littermate is an old 12, who had Lyme disease early in life, doesn't hear well now and really just likes to sleep. I would view their surgical options very differently for that reason.

I hope you find the right path for your pup and that he heals well!
Thanks for the comments. He has been slowing down, but is in pretty good health otherwise.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
Even with all of Gavin's health issues at 12, I would do the surgery. My boy still has a spark in him. That is what I want to see :)
 
Ditto what Ann said. My 12 almost 13 year old is in marvelous good health and in her case I would do that kind of surgery if it would help her stay mobile. I'm sure sorry your boy has had two bad problems with his leg! Hope it all goes well if you pursue that course.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
I loved Ann's post.

I think it depends on the dog and what you think they can handle. Even the testing for Bailey was traumatic when he faced serious issues as he got older. When we had to make a decision to treat or not that was a huge factor for us. If the testing made his quality of life and mental stability awful, how bad was the treatment going to be?

I'm not sure what I will do when and if Katy reaches the stage we have to make choices. Clearly much depends on the challenge and the options. However, Katy is mentally and physically much tougher than Bailey and I think might broaden our options should treatment be an option. She is mentally and emotionally able to handle more.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
Back
Top