Agility Trial???

well, I can't say for sure BUT I do know that when I inquired about bringing my dog to watch an agility trial here in Asheville, NC I was told that only dogs that were registered to compete could attend the trial; and only if their shot record was up-to-date.

I would assume that different clubs have different rules.
Have you been doing any agility skills with your trainer and your pup?
There may be some beginner participation classes or exhibitions that would allow you to "try your dog out" on the equipment. That is, you're not competing but you get a chance to run your dog through the course to get a feel for the event. I know that my sister took her Jack Russell Terrier to an event one time and they allowed novices to run the course. With no training at all her Jack Russell took the best time on an underground seek-and-find course (don't know the true name of this competition but I've seen it on TV once, the terriers follow a scent track through underground maze tunnel and it is a timed event).

Sounds like you will have a fun time whether you get to dip your toes in or whether you and your pup will be there to observe only! Don't forget the traveling water bowl as well as treats!
 
Agility

You should be able to bring any dog to any trial. AKC you can't bring a puppy under 5 months old but over 6 months you can.I have never heard of a trial saying only dogs allowed are the ones that compete.I had Sting with me this weekend at an AKC trial in NH.I show NADAC< AKC and USDAA and have never had any problem. Don't forget Sat. night at 8 is the Invataional at 8 pm on Animal Planet.
 
CPE doesn't permit dogs that are not competing based on what I read prior to going to a trial in Washingtonville, Ohio last December.

I was able to bring Edan to a TDAA trial hosted by my club. I've also had him at an AKC sanctioned trial hosted by our local Sheltie club.

The suggestion I have is to read the premium for that trial or contact the host club to see if non-competing dogs are permitted.

Sharon said:
Don't forget Sat. night at 8 is the Invataional at 8 pm on Animal Planet.
Unfortunately it is at the same time as the Budweiser Shootout at Daytona on FOX and I need my NASCAR fix. I hope they re-run the Invitational.
 
Last edited:
No Problems!

Caliber and I both attended the trial. We didn't have any training at all, so even if I had known there WAS anything about just going to have fun, we wouldn't have done it. Nobody had any problems. I had A LOT of people compliment on Caliber tho. Like.....a lot. It actually surprised me. I wasn't expecting to talk to anyone and here there were people coming up to talk to me about how gorgeous my pup was! Even my trainer was giving him tons and tons of praise. It was nice. A little boost in ego(but not too much...I'm not conceited by any means.) I'm sure you all know what I mean tho. I would assume ALL Shelties get that kind of attention...but it's nice to hear it about your baby!! :smile2:

After Obedience training is done we're going to start to train in agility!! We're really excited!!:biggrin2:
 
Back
Top