Another dryer question

Hannah

Forums Enthusiast
It's been a wet winter here and my dogs seem to be constantly a bit damp from when they have to go outside. They've started to really smell and I don't normally bath them until the weather warms up, but I think I'm going to have to soon. I've never dried my dogs with a hairdryer because we used to live in a very dry climate until earlier this year. They have always seemed quite wary/scared of the dryer when I dry my own hair. I'm wondering if it's too late to successfully introduce a hairdryer with dogs who haven't been used to it, and if not, how would I best go about it? :)
 
If your hair dryer has a low setting, that's always best to start with. Also, keep the temperature on low/warm. It takes longer, but if you put it on hot you risk hurting your dog and/or frying their hair. I would have treats, and just turn it on, not even pointed at them. Then slowly start at the back of their body. Don't start near the face or front of the body because they will hate it. My dog will tolerate being blow dryed, and she doesn't care when I'm blow drying my own hair. Although she will leave if I point it at her. I don't blow dry often. Maybe once or twice a year. Lately I've been taking her to Unleashed by Petco where they have a self-wash area. I use the force air dryer and she hates that even more than the hair dryer. It's loud.
 
Back
Top