Any dog can do flyball?

Bejilia

Forums Regular
A girl of my agility class would like to do flyball with her Samoyed and the only problem they have is to pick up and carry the ball. They tried nearly everything to learn - they clickered, they played with the ball as a prey, they made it interesting with "fighting" for it, but nothing works.
Do you have any idea? Or is it the first dog, I have to say, it can't and will never do flyball?


R. m. Q.
 
I don't really do flyball, but what about cutting a slit it in the tennis ball and putting a treat in it. Do you think he would pick it up then? And then you could give him the treat inside once he picked it up.
 
like a prey dummy? she doesn't even pick up these... :(
but it's an interesting idea and it caused an idea in my head, we'll test sunday :yes:

thank you!!! :smile2:
 
Bejilia, I hope you can figure out a way to help the Sammy figure out how to play Flyball. Sorry I don't have any additional suggestions for you.

But, to answer your question 'can any dog do flyball'? Sure, any dog, in general terms, can do flyball/agility/triebball/etc. Individually, however, I don't believe that's true.

In the agility world, I have seen a number of dogs who, quite simply, aren't interested. Some go through the motions because their person is asking them to but there is no joy in the body language. I've seen others where it's a battle just to get them over an 8 inch jump bar. Then there are the ones, like my Edan and a BC in my class named Pete who exude joy in what they are doing from every fiber of their bodies.

Sometimes it really is just something the dog isn't interested in.

As I said, I really do hope you can find something to motivate the Sammy to play flyball. Please let us know what happens.
 
Back
Top