Anyone started flyball with an older dog?

Mikos_Mom

Forums Enthusiast
I'm going to take Miko to flyball in a couple of weeks. I'm a little concerned though because he's already 3yrs old and I'm not sure how he'll take to it. (he get's "weird" around unfamiliar things, sights, sounds, etc) I feel like it would be easier to introduce a younger dog to such a new experience.

He looooooooves running 100 miles hour and fetching a tennis ball, so I'm hoping that he'll eventually see the fun in flyball.

Any tips/advice on introducing a somewhat nervous dog to the sport?

Thanks!
 
Bring lots and lots of treats and have fun with it :biggrin2:.

Our practices aren't usually that loud. Most of the barking is coming from my dog. My dog also has her moments of weirdness, but if food is involved, she completely forgets about what was freaking her out. But take things slowly. If it's obvious your dog is overwhelmed, cut things short. I wouldn't try to push him to do something he's not comfortable with. I think you'll find that most flyball people are nice and willing to help and know how to work with a dog within it's comfort level.
 
Concerned at 3 - nah. My friend's late Lab started flyball at 8yrs old and competed until she was 10yrs old. She kept going to practices until she was 13yrs (although tended to skip the jumps towards the end). Doesn't really make much difference when they start - it's a sport where dogs can compete into fairly advanced age so when you start doesn't matter.
 
Back
Top