Arthritis/Cosequin

jimvt

Forums Novice
I'm surprised I wasn't able to find any posts on arthritis in the drugs/illness forums.

Has anyone used Cosequin for arthritis.

Sandy is getting a bit slow-8 yrs old.

I've seen some favorable reviews on Amazon but unsure if his heart murmur will be affected.

Thanks
 
I second the vet before giving any supplements due to a heart murmur, you just never know.

As for Cosequin, I give my older dog (12) Cosequin DS (half a tablet a day). He isn't arthritic, however, he was creeky and slow. Read that as he'd get up and be stiff for a bit (so am I, maybe I should take some of it too). After giving him Cosequin, for the most part, it seems he's moving a lot more and isnt' stiff. There are times, like when he's been laying on the hard ground for hours, that he wakes up stiff, but hopefully a new bed will help with that.

For myself, I've seen it do great thigns for Miko. However, like I said, he's not arthritic though. The Vet may even give you something more potent if it is arthritis. I know my co-worker got Dasequin (vet version of Cosequin) for her Lab and she said it helped a lot to alleviate the pain/stiffness.
 
Emma has a heart murmur, but she also has a problem with drug reactions, even though she is MDR1 normal/normal. I would definitely check with your vet regarding any herbal supplement, as they are considered an alternative medication and you would not want to give anything that may cause more harm to the heart. It would depend on how severe the heart murmur is.

Also, if the vet suggests meloxicam for your dog for the arthritis, find out all the side effects and how it can affect your dog, particularly in light of the heart murmur. I would not want to see you go through the pain of losing your dog like I did with Noah after having him on meloxicam. Others have used it with no problems, though. Just be aware that any anti-inflammatory can cause gastrointestinal problems.
 
My horse is on Cosequin. Her joints used to creak and crack, and after about 2 months on it, I never heard another noise from them. She has been on it for 4 years now.
 
I use a more complex supplement for my arthritic male and high energy female. It has gluc/chondroit but also has other substances to help joints. Both the vet and specialist recommended getting a supplement that also has green lipid mussel to help arthritic joints. Plus the dogs really love the smell (stinks a bit).

The best thing I have found for my male's arthritis is 6-mthly pentosan (Cartrophen) injections. It is a miracle drug and has made a huge difference to my male - he is back to his old self. It is actually pretty safe, and doesnt have all the side effects that an anti-inflamm does. The vet gives the injections.
 
we've been using Osteo-3 for two older dogs- the non-sheltie had heart murmur. don't think there were any issues with that :smile2:
 
Back
Top