Bath/Drying tricks

Eagle

Forums Enthusiast
I recently bought a forced air dryer. One of my dogs at least is perfectly comfortable with it, so I want to give him a bath soon. They were done at the groomer about 2 months ago.

What are all the tricks for getting as much loose undercoat out with the bath as possible? I have been brushing him every week, so there should not be a ton.

Also, I decided to try the $10 Chris Christensen kit. I got the white on white kit. He is a heavily white blue merle. Should I just use the white on white on him all over or should I use another shampoo on the non white areas?

Thanks
 
Use the white all over... will do fine. A warm water bath will certainly help loosen up the coat.
The forced air dryer works wonders at getting the loose air out. It's important to remember when using these... go with the direction of the hair growth. Don't twirl or wave it back and forth like we generally do when using a dryer on us... it can cause a mess of tangles. Just point and slowly move toward the rear. If used correctly... you shouldn't have to brush afterward.
 
Use the white all over... will do fine. A warm water bath will certainly help loosen up the coat.
The forced air dryer works wonders at getting the loose air out. It's important to remember when using these... go with the direction of the hair growth. Don't twirl or wave it back and forth like we generally do when using a dryer on us... it can cause a mess of tangles. Just point and slowly move toward the rear. If used correctly... you shouldn't have to brush afterward.

With my dog, I "wave it back and forth" because it's the best way to remove the moisture all the way down to the skin, at least for me. Once I'm done I will go with the direction of the hair on his topline so his hair doesn't stick up. But if you do it the right way, you will not get any tangles in the hair from drying. I can't really describe my technique without showing you, so maybe someone else can comment. Just make sure you're holding the hose far enough away from the dog so that you don't create tangles.
 
With my dog, I "wave it back and forth" because it's the best way to remove the moisture all the way down to the skin, at least for me. Once I'm done I will go with the direction of the hair on his topline so his hair doesn't stick up. But if you do it the right way, you will not get any tangles in the hair from drying. I can't really describe my technique without showing you, so maybe someone else can comment. Just make sure you're holding the hose far enough away from the dog so that you don't create tangles.

thats the method I do too...I go back and forth from the neck to the tail till I get the majority of water out of the coat and they are almost dry than I blow them the way I want the coat to dry with as I brush them...works like a charm...and actually I dont need to brush while doing it...it just makes me feel better :biggrin2:
 
Back
Top