Best Puppy Brush?

marie_bel_air

Forums Regular
Hey everyone!

I am preparing for a sheltie puppy, and am lost when it comes to brushes. There are so many out there it is overwhelming! What do you guys recommend for a puppy? I know their coats are different than adults, so I wasn't sure if I needed to use a different brush. I want to introduce it to her early so she'll get used to being brushed. Thanks so much in advance!
 
Hi and welcome!

Yes, puppy coat is different from adult coat... the biggest difference being that it's easier!

You might as well start setting up your grooming "kit" now - there's no need for a specific "puppy brush", and you'll be using your grooming tools for the life of your little dog. Here's my basic kit:

- a pinbrush (we use the Madan brushes shown here; the purple or pink are fine for an adult Sheltie)
- a slicker (here's the kind I like)
- a "greyhound" comb
- straight-edge scissors (you don't need anything fancy; Sally Beauty always has reasonably-priced scissors made just for hair)
- thinning shears (ditto above)
- a good spray-bottle to keep the coat moist while you work on it

You can go a very long way with just these six items (though you might want to throw in the Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming, too!).

OK, so, back to that puppy coat... take your water bottle and give the pup a gentle mist to get the coat a little damp. Then take your slicker and brush/fluff the whole coat up towards the head, in the opposite direction of growth. Then make sure that you slicker the silky hair behind the ears to ward off mats - oh, hit it with a little talcum powder while you're there, for additional anti-mat protection. That's all! :biggrin2: (NB. this is the only time in your Sheltie's life when this approach to brushing will be acceptable [or effective]. Enjoy it while it lasts!) If you really want to get fancy, clean up the outline of the puppy's toes with your scissors, trim off the whiskers, and clean the edges of the ear-leather with the thinning shears.
 
Thank you so much for the brush recommendations! I really appreciate it, and any and all advice is definitely welcome...my parents had a sheltie when I was growing up, but they always took him to a groomer. I would like to do a lot of the stuff myself for my little girl if I can. :smile2:
 
I couldn't have said it better than Tofu Pup! She really did cover off the basics.

The only thing I will add is that a really good slicker brush is key. I was using everything BUT a slicker brush until I finally found one that worked for both my dogs. None of my previous brushes ever did the job....kinda like Snow White...too hard, too soft

In hindsight, I was just making do. Now, most of my grooming starts and ends with the slicker. Rake and pin brush in between.

I love, love, love the Lawrence brush

http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/409
 
Back
Top