Best Puppy food?

Katrina

Forums Regular
I am going to be adopting my new puppy sometime this year once we find her (currently looking)! I've only ever had two Shelties in my life and so only two puppy experiences.

With each, I do better! I'd like this new puppy to get the best start in life and I know that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound in cure ... so perhaps starting off with a better food is a priority this time around.

In the past, I only ever bought Purina One Chicken and Rice for my dogs. The other foods on the market at the time had corn as either the first or second ingredient and I know that is a filler, non-healthy thing for Shelties. Anyway, before I go and revert to that again, what puppy foods do you all use or prefer?

Thanks!
Katrina
 
I have my adult dogs on Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomachs, the lamb variety. I switched on recommendation of my vet after the DCM heart scare, linked to certain ingredients in dog food, like peas or pea protein. But when I got Meadow I did not like the Purina puppy formula, so I went with Fromm Gold for puppies. It is not cheap but really good ingredients and Meadow did great on it. Kept her on that until about 8 months and then slowly transitioned to the Purina adult.
 
I've also fed Fromm puppy food and have used it for my puppies. I feed my adults who eat kibble Honest Kitchen. It's all human grade ingredients, and available on Chewy. They also make a puppy food which would be my choice now if I were feeding a puppy.
 
Asher arrived weaned on Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice formula. He was a poop eater from the start, which was so frustrating!!! Then I thought of adding Vibrant Pets Canine Athlete powder to his food at every meal. Bingo! Immediately he stopped eating poop!!!
 
Dog nutrition is a deep deep well for sure. Lots of companies make promises and since there is no oversight we all have to go with what we think is best. Hopefully the majority of the foods are great and healthy. We use Earthborne small breed and the dogs love it and the ingredients look good but whatever you chose just look thru the list of what is there. There are web sites that tell you how to read or understand what some of the words really mean-- e.g. this from the AKC

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/how-to-read-a-dog-food-label/

good luck let the adventure begin.
 
Back
Top