Bil-Jac Frozen

Jess041

Forums Enthusiast
Has anyone used the frozen Bil-Jac food as treats? I have been using the Bil-Jac littles and gooberlicious treats you can buy at petstores for a while. I like them because they're really easy to break into smaller pieces. Well now I've discovered the frozen Bil-Jac food. In my area, they sell it at Kroger and Walmart. I went to Kroger and they only had 5lb bags. I divided it up into Ziploc bags and put them back in the freezer. I used it at Agility class and I really like it. It's a bit mushier than the treats, but it was easy to make into smaller pieces.

My main concern is while Missy doesn't have a weight problem, she is a Sheltie and she does require a lot of treats for flyball and agility. I'm glad I can break the treats into smaller pieces so she's not getting a ton. I just hope it's not too many calories. Naturally, I'm going to be watching her stools for the next couple days to see if she has any problems :rolleyes2:.

P.S. The food was a little over $7 for 5lbs! It's going to last me FOREVER and it was pretty inexpensive considering what I pay for the regular treats.
 
It's loaded with sugar and salt.... think Twinkies... sure, an occasional bit is a blast, but there are much better options!

I like using bits of simple boiled chicken breast, or a cheap cut of steak, chopped into little eraser size bites and frozen - can grab a baggie from the freezer and go right to class... no added preservatives, no mystery glycols... nothing but what I would eat myself.

And, price per pound is probably cheaper!!!

Takes only 10 mins to boil a chicken tenderloin!
 
I forgot to tell you how I got my opinon... I left a baggie of Bil Jac frozen in my training bag last summer, it was 10 days till I went to train again, and it was ~ not moldy, not stinky, and didn't deteriorate .... remember the McDonalds french fries that lasted for a month or more before decomposing! Eeeek! Real food spoils.
 
I cycle through different treats that it wouldn't surprise me if after we finish the 5 lb bag (which will take months..), I don't try it again.

I wish there was a dogfoodadvisor.com for treats!
 
I make my own liver treats for training. The boys LOVE them and I like that I can cut them in one size for Toby, much smaller for Baker.
 
Back
Top