Blood in Urine - But Not UTI

OntarioSheltie

Forums Celebrity
Last weekend when I was brushing Sadie I noticed that she smelled strongly of urine. She was long over due for a sanitary trim so it was of no big surprise.

When I flipped her over to trim the fur I saw what looked like blood drips matted into it. I cleaned the fur and trimmed it, deciding to keep an eye on her.

A couple days later after her morning pee she had droplets of pale pink in her fur right after.

Yesterday morning I got a urine sample from her and brought it to my vet for testing, even though it looked normal and healthy to me, compared to other times Sadie has had a UTI. (Sadie gets them yearly, but always in December/Jan. and her urine is always very cloudy).

The urinalysis came back normal. I'm kind of worried that there might be something up with her, but what would cause blood in her urine that isn't a UTI? Should I take her in to see the vet or should I keep an eye on her?

I thought Sadie seemed quieter than usual and she'd been looking a bit forlorn. She's also seemed reluctant to go outside to relieve herself, which is somewhat odd. Then again its been very hot outside so they might be depressed to be in the house so much. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.
 
My cat was recently having this problem. I took her to the vet last week (I posted about it in chitchat), and they did bloodwork and a urinalysis, and everything came back fine, but there was still blood in her urine. The vet said it was called Idiopathic Sterile Cystitis, which is just a fancy word for inflamation of the bladder without an infection. Some cats get it because of stress, which I think is the case because she started getting it when I got the puppy (she's not a big fan of Missy, she's a very grouchy cat). She's also gotten it in the past, and our old vet always gave her a shot of some antibiotic and told me to change her food to a urinary health kind. This new vet suggested I try cosequin because although it's mainly used for joints, it has also been found to help with bladder issues.

I haven't had time to google, but I wonder if dogs can get something like that too? I hope Sadie feels better!
 
My cat was recently having this problem. I took her to the vet last week (I posted about it in chitchat), and they did bloodwork and a urinalysis, and everything came back fine, but there was still blood in her urine. The vet said it was called Idiopathic Sterile Cystitis, which is just a fancy word for inflamation of the bladder without an infection. Some cats get it because of stress, which I think is the case because she started getting it when I got the puppy (she's not a big fan of Missy, she's a very grouchy cat). She's also gotten it in the past, and our old vet always gave her a shot of some antibiotic and told me to change her food to a urinary health kind. This new vet suggested I try cosequin because although it's mainly used for joints, it has also been found to help with bladder issues.

I haven't had time to google, but I wonder if dogs can get something like that too? I hope Sadie feels better!

Yeah, it looks like its possible.

I'm just not sure yet if I should take Sadie to the vet and subject her to testing. I know I'm not imagining the blood but I honestly cant' tell if she's bothered or not. :gaah
 
We first noticed blood in Pavi's urine after the first snow one year. It was easy to see in the snow, but we hadn't noticed it when he went in the grass. The vet did an ultrasound, and discovered he had bladder stones. His urinalysis was fine, except for blood. You should probably take Sadie back to the vet.
 
We first noticed blood in Pavi's urine after the first snow one year. It was easy to see in the snow, but we hadn't noticed it when he went in the grass. The vet did an ultrasound, and discovered he had bladder stones. His urinalysis was fine, except for blood. You should probably take Sadie back to the vet.

Thanks for letting me know. What is the treatment for bladder stones?

I wonder if bladder stones could be the cause of her yearly UTI's?

Poor Sadie has been through so much in her young life, I just hate the idea of bringing her to the vet unless its completely necessary. I guess this is one of those times. :(
 
Glad you ruled out a UTI. Blood in urine is a symptom of bladder stones.

Bladder stones are usually caused by too high pH or too low pH. I think diet can also caused stones.

If the stones are small, they can pass on their own. If they are too large to pass or won't dissolve on their own then surgery is usually suggested. I think the vet will take an x-ray to see if any stones are visible.

I hope it's nothing serious. Keep us updated.
 
Something else you may want to consider, I only know this because I have this disease as well and it is fairly common in dogs(which I didn't know)

Your dog may have a disease known as ITP its a bleeding disorder that can present itself in urine. With all the fur you probably can't see your dogs skin, to check for little pin point spots called petechia.(I know I spelled that wrong). Have your vet run a CBC to check for platelet levels
 
Something else you may want to consider, I only know this because I have this disease as well and it is fairly common in dogs(which I didn't know)

Your dog may have a disease known as ITP its a bleeding disorder that can present itself in urine. With all the fur you probably can't see your dogs skin, to check for little pin point spots called petechia.(I know I spelled that wrong). Have your vet run a CBC to check for platelet levels

I've never seen anything like that on Sadie and I groomed her really thoroughly on Saturday. I always worry about missing skin conditions since they have so much fur.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of blood in her urine, just a little.

I'll see what the vet says though.
 
In case your vet has never herd of it ITP stands for idio pathic thrombo cyto penia . And just to give you a little more info, its' not a skin condition, its a bleeding disorder and once platelets gets depleted enough, you can bleed from any orifice or skin.
 
In case your vet has never herd of it ITP stands for idio pathic thrombo cyto penia . And just to give you a little more info, its' not a skin condition, its a bleeding disorder and once platelets gets depleted enough, you can bleed from any orifice or skin.

Thanks for the explanation. I googled it when you first mentioned it. :smile2:
 
Back
Top