Breeders willing to export

silentarchangel

Forums Novice
Hi everyone!

New to the forum, i've decided to get a sheltie as my first dog. My problem is that I currently live in Hong Kong, and as far as I can tell the only way I can get a Sheltie here is pet stores. Even without the reluctance to support puppy mills, i've read enough stories of health problems with pet store puppies. I want to find a breeder, but there just are none over here (and I definitely don't trust any breeder in China). Does anyone have experience with finding breeders who are willing to export puppies?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
there are plenty of breeders in Japan who own am imported dogs and are breeding them. Start with the JCC (who also does shelties if I remember correctly). And someone from there may be able to put you in touch with a breeder. I cant read Japanese so I cant find the specific site to link you to.

There are also a few Chinese breeders who have imported into China and are using am lines. But Japan is a little closer to start with than the US for importing.
 
I thank-you for not wanting to support puppy mills. You are making a great choice trying to research out your puppy.

You may also want to try to send a private message to romeosangiovese's. She is from Singapore, and although not that close, she is a bit closer to you than we are. She may be able to give you some leads.

It is against forum policy to recommend specific breeder's publicly on this forum, but maybe romeosangiovese's can give you some direction on where to go to find one that is a little closer to your home.

Good luck and welcome to the Sheltie Nation.
 
Welcome to Sheltie Nation! Another idea is if someone could bring the puppy on a trip over. I would if I were going to Hong Kong, but I'm going to be in Shanghai in November.
 
Welcome. It is possible to find decent breeders willing to export from Australia. I'd suggest getting in contact with the Sheltie clubs in the first instance to find out from them. There are Clubs in most states - you can try

Shetland Sheepdog Club of NSW - www.sheltieclubnsw.com.au
Shetland Sheepdog Club of Qld - www.shetlandsheepdogclubofqld.com
and Dogzonline is where the breeders advertise - they will note in their ads if the dogs are not available for export - www.dogzonline.com.au

You should tell them that you are willing to sign a contract and have the dog desexed before export, that will let them know you are a legitimate pet owner.

You might also want to look at Sheltie breeders in Japan.

Definately PM romeoangiovese though - her Juliet came from Australia.
 
Hello! Yes, happy to offer some guidance! It is well worth the trouble getting a puppy from a responsible breeder. The hardest obstacle for me really was to get the breeder to trust that YOU are not a puppy broker/mill owner/bad crazy person (because we're in Asia and sadly there's alot of bad rep and I can't say I blame them). After that, the paperwork was a piece of cake.

The first thing I would look at is HK import quarantine rules. I found this website. Looks like you can import a puppy from UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii, Japan and Taiwan and avoid any quarantine. Nearer might be better - I don't think pups do well in long flights!

Feel free to drop me a PM!
 
thanks everyone for the information, I'll try looking into Japan, Taiwan, and Australia as i'll prefer not to have the puppy fly alone for too long.
 
My biggest worry is the actual transport. Be careful and do lots of research before selecting a carrier of any kind, as transports hold risks, just as pet stores do, in their own rite. Best wishes!!
 
You've made a great choice. I bought a sheltie boy recently and I'm more than happy I chose to get a shetland sheepdog!

Your situation is more difficult than mine, though, since in my homecountry there are many sheltie breeders. I think the first thing for you to do is to decide what kind of a sheltie you like - an American one or an English one or a mix perhaps? Those were just examples. There are differences, at least in the appearance.

Many breeders (at least close to where I live, in Scandinavian countries) tend to sell dogs abroad only to the other breeders or very active "hobbyists". These dogs usually are promising studdogs or so. As far as I know though. :confused2: Exporting is also enriching the gene pool. :wink2:

I'm sure there are breeders who are willing to sell a dog to you. You will just have to be active and contact the breeders or sheltie clubs of different countries. If you're going to attend dog shows or take agility courses, for example, I think you've got a pretty good chance. My sheltie's breeder requires a full health check to be made when the dogs is about two years old, including the eyes, hips, knees and so on. If you're willing to commit yourself to things like these, you'll get a puppy. So keep trying, never buy a dog from a pet shop!

Wish you luck and hope you will find the dog of your life! :biggrin2:
 
Back
Top