Can yellow squash be a substitue for pumpkin?

Jean

Forums Enthusiast
Have in the past kept a can of plain pumpkin on hand for times needed (1--low calorie and 2--"firms what needs to be firmed and softens what needs to be softened") OF COURSE if it is ever needed a vet will be consulted first, but since my new store doesn't carry plain canned pumpkin, I took a look-see at what the baby aisle has (that's usually without spices and added sugars). They have yellow squash, but not pumpkin. Is it a substitute?
 
I give my dogs yellow squash, as well as zucchini, although I give it fresh (also only give fresh pumpkin as we don't get canned pumpkin here). I find squash doesn't seem have the same binding properties as pumpkin, although it probably should given it's from the same family. Maybe it's not as densely packed with those same nutrients as pumpkin.

Other options I've been given for firming up stools are banana and sweet potato.
 
I've substituted sweet potato for pumpkin with success. I haven't tried banana or other squashes so I can't speak to those.
 
I would say butternut squash would be closer to pumpkin, they are both winter squashes where yellow/zucchini squash are both summer squashes. Sweet potatoes also work well.
 
Back
Top