Channel weave mthod

Simba13

Forums Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone has a link to good article or video on how to teach channel weaves. I am now ready to properly begin teaching Simba to weave as my brother suprised me with a set of 12 poles he made. We don't have grass at home so I couldn't get stick in the ground poles so he made 12 individual stands and I bought 12 cuts of plumbers pipe. I also have a full 12 pole stand that I will use in a couple of months when he is ready. I had originally began teaching the 2x2 method but I felt he was becoming disheartened and lacking motivation using this method where as my older dog is loving this method.

I have had to teach quiet a few things differently to the way the majority would teach it as when we first began agility Simba went from a confident dog outside the ring, happy to be there and excited to see new dogs, to a dog who wouldn't move from the start line when we got in the ring no matter how much encouragement or hi valued rewards where offered. If you where to see him today he is absolutely flying and is super excited to get going. I think that the channel weave method will help with his confidence my only concern is teaching independent entries!
 
Hmmm...it's been awhile since I've taught channel weaves. I do think that they are harder to teach entries on. But you're right--way better for building speed and confidence.

I don't know of any videos showing the channel method--but I'd like to say (from what I remember) that you probably don't need one. I remember opening the channels really wide (after teaching the dog to drive to a target plate) and having them run to the target plate. As long as they are successful and moving quickly you can start to close the channels as well as add motion and independence slowly.

As far as entrances go, I wonder if you could work a combination of channels and 2x2s. I think they are the best way to teach the entrance--but I can see what you mean about it being a little demotivating. Could you make it more like a trick rather than an exercise?
 
I taught my dog with 2x2 with a weave pole set that his breeder gave me, but it was a PVC pipe (plumbers pipe) kit set up for channel weaves. I haven't worked with the channel method, but just a heads up, depending on how your brother made the set, it could possibly make Simba's transition from your own set to other sets difficult since dogs really don't generalize and I've been told they use more "picture" constructs.

My channel weaves had a stand and elbows for each weave pole that rotated into position from the outside towards the middle. I modified it for 2x2 by breaking it apart into 6 sections, but the elbows were still there. He learned to weave all 12 but when I gradually removed the elbows, he had more trouble finding his entrances and the weaves at my agility class looked too different for him. I've been quickly going through the 2x2 method with my dog Brew again after sticking the poles in the ground and now he's building his confidence again with his entrances.

If your kit is completely flat with only poles sticking up, just disregard what I've said. But if not, it's best for the channel to look as close to standard weaves as possible right from the beginning, and plumbing pipe weaves can be modified easy with different pvc connections/elbows.

Otherwise, I agree with corbinam on trying to teach entrances with a combination of 2x2s and channels. I've heard that a dog taught with the channel method may try to blast through the weaves instead of collecting itself at the start to get the entrance. Maybe you can separate the first two entrance poles from the rest of the set as a 2x2 stand and open that up around 2 and 8 o'clock (or at least, wider than the channels) in front of the rest of the poles to make it easier for Simba find his entrances. The weaves themselves can still be taught in channel style, but go "around the clock" at all "hours" (angles) with Simba with the two open weaves to help with independent entries and slowly close them inline with the rest of the channel. Just a thought :)
 
I taught Epic with 2x2s as well and am pretty happy with the results but it was tough to train it and I do remember thinking at the time that with a less motivated/driven dog it would probably not be the most suitable method. My second preference would be channel weaves and this DVD by Silvia Trkman looks quite interesting:
http://www.dogbooksonline.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=99&product_id=979

This is the trailer and it says it shows how to teach it from the beginning. I don't think there can be any doubts that she gets some super entries too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQgZ2YF_lqM&feature=youtu.be
 
Hmmm...it's been awhile since I've taught channel weaves. I do think that they are harder to teach entries on. But you're right--way better for building speed and confidence.

I don't know of any videos showing the channel method--but I'd like to say (from what I remember) that you probably don't need one. I remember opening the channels really wide (after teaching the dog to drive to a target plate) and having them run to the target plate. As long as they are successful and moving quickly you can start to close the channels as well as add motion and independence slowly.

As far as entrances go, I wonder if you could work a combination of channels and 2x2s. I think they are the best way to teach the entrance--but I can see what you mean about it being a little demotivating. Could you make it more like a trick rather than an exercise?

That is a really good idea thank you. I will teach a combination of both. I was really set on teaching 2x2, I even bought a dvd, but he was getting frustrated. We started channel weaves today and he is doing much better with it. He will drive right to end independently. I think I will try this for a while and then add the 2x2 back in :D
 
I taught my dog with 2x2 with a weave pole set that his breeder gave me, but it was a PVC pipe (plumbers pipe) kit set up for channel weaves. I haven't worked with the channel method, but just a heads up, depending on how your brother made the set, it could possibly make Simba's transition from your own set to other sets difficult since dogs really don't generalize and I've been told they use more "picture" constructs.

My channel weaves had a stand and elbows for each weave pole that rotated into position from the outside towards the middle. I modified it for 2x2 by breaking it apart into 6 sections, but the elbows were still there. He learned to weave all 12 but when I gradually removed the elbows, he had more trouble finding his entrances and the weaves at my agility class looked too different for him. I've been quickly going through the 2x2 method with my dog Brew again after sticking the poles in the ground and now he's building his confidence again with his entrances.

If your kit is completely flat with only poles sticking up, just disregard what I've said. But if not, it's best for the channel to look as close to standard weaves as possible right from the beginning, and plumbing pipe weaves can be modified easy with different pvc connections/elbows.

Otherwise, I agree with corbinam on trying to teach entrances with a combination of 2x2s and channels. I've heard that a dog taught with the channel method may try to blast through the weaves instead of collecting itself at the start to get the entrance. Maybe you can separate the first two entrance poles from the rest of the set as a 2x2 stand and open that up around 2 and 8 o'clock (or at least, wider than the channels) in front of the rest of the poles to make it easier for Simba find his entrances. The weaves themselves can still be taught in channel style, but go "around the clock" at all "hours" (angles) with Simba with the two open weaves to help with independent entries and slowly close them inline with the rest of the channel. Just a thought :)

Luckily my set is flat. My brother is a welder and so it is a flat metal base. The exact same as the one used at class :) I will definitely go with a combination of both methods. He is the type of dog that is demotivated so easily. At the class if he runs past a tunnel entrance or runs around a jump wing I never go back and do it again because for starters it was always my fault he missed it in the first place but its like he realizes I did it wrong and then he lacks motivation for the rest of the round. I think when we tried to go from 2 to 4 poles on 2x2 method he taught that he wasn't being rewarded after the first 2 because he was doing something wrong. He is so smart!
 
I taught Epic with 2x2s as well and am pretty happy with the results but it was tough to train it and I do remember thinking at the time that with a less motivated/driven dog it would probably not be the most suitable method. My second preference would be channel weaves and this DVD by Silvia Trkman looks quite interesting:
http://www.dogbooksonline.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=99&product_id=979

This is the trailer and it says it shows how to teach it from the beginning. I don't think there can be any doubts that she gets some super entries too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQgZ2YF_lqM&feature=youtu.be

Thanks a million! I have just started the download of the DVD. It looks brilliant. Thank you for sending me the link :biggrin2:
 
Back
Top