cleaning ears

TekkosMom

Forums Regular
Hi I was just wondering how often people clean the inside of their pups ears? Every now and then I take a look inside Tekko's ears and smell inside them for an off odour. So far I haven't noticed anything but I was just wondering if I should be doing any up keep to prevent wax build up/ infection. Are shelties high risk for ear infections? I know floppy long eared dogs such as cockers (my grandmother shows them) are but I'm not sure about our critters.
Thanks!

Tiffani
 
Our Little Bits has more ear trouble that the rest. We do her ears with a warmed ear wash when she starts shaking her head. The others get their ears wiped out when they're bathed. That's when I get every nook and cranny -- and I'll do it between baths if I notice any brown build up. Otherwise, I don't use ear cleaner. You know the old adage: don't stick anything bigger than an elbow into an ear! :lol:
 
I've never had a problem with a sheltie's ears - never needed to clean them either when they are prick eared or flopped. But Deska does sometimes get grass seeds and has had to go to the vet to get one removed. But I think that is more due to the amount of hair around his ears (for the seed to grab on to).
 
I keep an eye on Sadie's ears but haven't felt it necessary to clean them. I don't want to poke around if its not necessary and create any problems. At her last vet appointment the vet said her ears looked good.
 
Back
Top