Composure for stress/fear.

I'm sure someone will be shooting off fireworks tonight....most of the fireworks displays were last night though. Alan says that Emma and Figaro did some barking at the fireworks last night; but nothing too terrible as they weren't that close. Indy didn't notice them.

As for Sasha and Newton, they were sleeping in the car as I was driving back from the Southern Sheltie Gathering...we drove right past NUMEROUS fireworks events....I really didn't hear much noise from any of them as I had the AC and the CD player going. What would wake Sasha and Newton up so that they'd stand and turn around sniffing was the SMELL of the fireworks.

Of course, while they stood up and were very curious about the fireworks smell, they got up and were VERY UPSET when we drove through a skunk stink zone. GACK!

This is Diva's second 4th of July, she was 8 months last year and she come to work(I worked until 10pm) with me so she didn't have to deal with many fireworks. Already we had a couple rounds go off. With the first pop I saw Diva startle and she barked then looked right at me. I did my best oh hum reactiion and she got this look like aren't you going to do something. When I didn't she laid right down. Yeah.:smile2: Hopefully she'll be as calm all night. I hope so my neighborhood turns into a war zone after dark. :( Ember is slightly reactive but I stick cottonballs in her ears and that helps alot. Maybe I should do that with Diva. Justice could care less.
 
Sorry I am so late but I vote for he is a puppy.

Of course he gets scared at times. When I walked to Mom and Dad's with Sca I would have to carry him by the big scary barking dog, now he thinks he needs to play :rolleyes2:

Maybe I am just fortunate but Sca is a chicken that doesn't freak out. Yep contradictory, he does get scared because he is a chicken but after a bit it is no longer scary and he is fine. I think this is due to great socialization by the breeder then I have made a point of hauling him places. Harleys used to be SCARY but I went to Lynchburg, TN with him and he realized they are just noise and almost ignores them for instance. I think you are right on track with Vash. The more he gets to go to Petsmart (or similar) the more he sees people as buddies and dogs as fun but not a reason to go crazy. If you have a resort town go walk him, ALL the little kids will want to pet him. Many adults will comment on him and stop to pet also. A good way to practice sits and stuff in a foreign environment also. Take him by the vet but don't stay, instead go in then leave and shower treats (now that is not a scary place it is FOOOOD) I even bring Sca by the party house (Mom and Dad's) sometimes just so he doesn't associate it with always getting left there.

As to fire works you can get DVDs of them and do the suggestion of other things that folks have provided. Start with lights down and no sound. Just flashes. Now add real low sound. Increasing a bit at a time to acclimate him.

In short keep doing what you are and Vash will shine without the need for medication :winkgrin:

Oh and I might be wrong because all Sca did was drop the frisbee and look when someone launched a mortar round, so maybe I am just lucky.
 
Back
Top