Contacts: 2o2o

corbinam

Moderator
I need some help on contacts, everyone. I would love any and all input. If you happened to watch our videos from the last trial, you'll remember that Bentley's contacts are atrocious.

It's clear that he has no idea where his "2o2o" actually is. He knows he is supposed to stop somewhere on the down side...but where? He slowly tiptoes down every obstacle (though it is far worse on the A-frame and teeter) until released. He even has to be prompted because he will stop halfway down because he is unsure.

I thought it was a confidence issue but we have been working with the A-frame VERY low (closer to flat) since our last trial and it hasn't seem to have made any difference. Once we take the target plate away, he's totally lost.

Just to mention a few other things, we did try clicking as soon as his feet hit the bottom, we've tried treating on the target plate, feed from our hands, we've tried running as fast as we can (passing him), we've tried back-chaining and driving to the bottom, nothing.

(And just a note, we ended up going with the 2o2o criteria because he was launching off when running).

Our club was supposed to have a contacts seminar with Amanda Shyne, but she's pregnant so it got cancelled.

Any and all tips, ideas, suggestions are appreciated. I am even up for signing up for a seminar somewhere on the east coat if anyone has any names or recommendations.

Thanks! I just know that if he doesn't get faster on his contacts that he (once in Masters) won't make course time.
 
We don't really do a 2o2o, because the trainer I work with thinks that it's hard on the dogs (I agree) so this may or may not work for you. We use targets at the bottom of the contact so that the dog drives straight for the bottom of the contact zone.
 
We don't really do a 2o2o, because the trainer I work with thinks that it's hard on the dogs (I agree) so this may or may not work for you. We use targets at the bottom of the contact so that the dog drives straight for the bottom of the contact zone.

So do you put the targets actually ON the contact obstacle? Like physically on the bottom of the dog walk rather than on the ground in front of it?

Just making sure I understand! :)
 
So do you put the targets actually ON the contact obstacle? Like physically on the bottom of the dog walk rather than on the ground in front of it?

Just making sure I understand! :)


On the ground next to the bottom of the contact. As your dog progresses, you can also increase the distance of the the target from the contact and convert to running contacts.
 
Interesting--that's how we train the 2o2o, too. The contact goes on the ground right below the obstacle...but just a bit further out so the dog has to have 2 feet on the ground to reach it.
 
Agility

Clean Run now offers Video On Demand and it is good for 14 days. It is $9.95 and there is a great one on there for contacts with Racheal Saunders.You watch it right on your computer
 
I'll have to do that Sharon. Thanks. Contacts is just what we are starting now. Plus, in order for Maia and I to get a working spot in the summer seminar with Tracy Skelnar, she has to know a lot more according to our instructor (which I disagree with her, as the workshop description says it is for those 'just learning' contacts and weaves and for those that want to trouble shoot. But then who am I to argue with the instructor, as she is the one in charge of who gets a working spot or not. I'd better stay on her good side :uhoh: )
 
Back
Top