Cushing's & Vetoryl Capsules

My bichon, Stewart, had cushings. At the age of 15 my vet said he was in remarkable health for his age, except for the cushings. We put him on vetoryl. That was in August. On October 28th he had been acting normally all day but that evening he collapsed. He had developed hemolytic anemia, which is a possibility when using vetoryl. The vet gave him a 50/50 chance of pulling through. He died in my arms on November 12th.
I'm not saying don't use it, but be aware, and make sure you are having his blood drawn on a regular basis to check for anemia.
I dearly miss Stewart and wish my vet had mentioned regular blood draws for dogs on vetoryl.
 
Last edited:
My Angel Copper battled Cushings for well over 2 years!! We did not have him on anything, other than love and human food. He did incredibly well, but many things are worth looking into... Thanks for sharing. I guess, that as w/ any drug -- human or canine -- there are risks as well as benefits...
 
Back
Top