damaged hair

snkoyle15

Forums Enthusiast
So for some background info. The first collar we got for Gizmo (before he even came home) was a flat nylon collar. we didnt know it was bad for the long hair, and it took us a while to find that out. then it took us a long time to find a rolled leather collar that we could afford and that would fit him (petsmarts where HUGE on him.). then when we ordered it, it took forever to get to us. so he went for quite a while with the flat one, before his rolled leather one finally got here. by the time the rolled one got here, i noticed that the scruff fur under his neck/chin area was damaged and really short. well we have had the rolled leather one on him for several months, but that same spot is still really short compared to everything else, and still feels and looks damaged. it also mats really easily, i think due to the damage. we take him outside several times a day, and his collar isnt just a clip one like the nylon ones. so it would really be a pain to take his collar on and off every time we took him outside. what can we do about this? is this something we just have to "wait it out" or is there something we can do? its really obvious (well at least to me :lol:) right after he is brushed, and not quite so much if he hasnt been brushed for a while (not that this part really matters).
 
I won't go into the whole collar discussion (that's a separate thread, which is fairly current at the moment)

I will say that Sheltie fur takes a LONG time to grow back. After a couple of really bad grooming experiences, my Bacca's guard hairs on his behind are still only gradually growing back and its been over about a year now, I think.

You just have to be patient. It will grow back eventually.

In the meantime, there is not alot you can do. You can use leave in conditioners to help keep the coat soft and supple. There is a product called Naked Care that I used before, and recently rediscovered that promotes healthy hair growth. I can't attest to that specifically, but I can say that when I use it, the boys' coats feel very luxirious.

Hope this helps.
 
I don't leave collars on my dogs ever. When we do go for walk we use a nylon show collar. But, I do understand those who don't feel comfertable not leaving one on 24/7.

A good conditioner would be your best bet.
 
I don't leave collars on my dogs ever. When we do go for walk we use a nylon show collar. But, I do understand those who don't feel comfertable not leaving one on 24/7.

Same here unless we are out of town. They get their collars and martingales put on when we go for walks, and I put on their collars when we go anywhere in the car.
 
Wow, I never thought about the type of collar. Maybe that's why Zoey and Bentley's fur around their necks looks ratty. I'm going to take them off and look for a rolled, leather collar for when we go for walks, rides, etc.

Thanks so much for posting your experience.
 
Back
Top