Dandruff/dry skin

marymrumfelt

Forums Enthusiast
My foster dog's skin has gotten better, but is still not good by any means. He has very bad dandruff and itchy skin. I give him fish oil, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything else holistic to give him? I'm thinking of trying VP for him... has anyone used it for skin issues? He's been on antibiotics but I don't want to keep putting him on them and have them attack his body and the vicious cycle that goes on w/antibiotics. He had a cortisone shot a while back and it helped so much.. can dogs continuously get cortisone shots or is that bad for them? His fur is growing in finally, but some spots the fur refuses to grow back... anyone know what's up with that?

Thanks in advance!
 
I know you use DE around the house, but do you also rub it on his fur? If you do, that might be drying out his skin.
 
Last edited:
VP is especially good for that problem. The Skin and Coat formula is excellent!

Did you know all formulas are the same? He told me the equine is the same as all the others too. Personally vp has not helped Abby, however it has worked on the horses.

Have you considered fish oil and/or coconut oil? I switch daily between the 2 and it has helped the dandruff.
 
Last edited:
Poor guy must be miserable. Be VERY careful with cortisone. In small doses for a limited period time it can be useful, but not recommended as a fix for long-term issues.

Have you had his thyroid tested? Tried switching his food? We feed Honest Kitchen to our three Shelties. They love it and it seems to ward off skin, allergy issues.

Might want to try a holistic vet to get to the bottom of his issues before too much harm is done.

Good luck!
 
Have you had his thyroid tested?

I was going to ask this same question. One of the symptoms for thyroid we saw with Edan was dry, flaky skin that wouldn't go away no matter what I did. We tried some oil in his food, oatmeal shampoos, VP, etc.

If VP doesn't help, I'd advise getting the thyroid tested.
 
Back
Top